Thread: new incra jig at rockler (original version)

new incra jig at rockler (original version)

Does anyone have any experience with this incra jig
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11494

I have been concidering the LS but am having troubles justifying the cost when this one caught my eye. It is much smaller and not nearly as advanced as the LS but looks like it does many of the same things.

Would this be a decent jig to start with, should I just save for the LS, or would the PC 4212 be a better alternative?

I am looking to do half blind and thru dovetails and box joints, but the other (double dovetails, coner posts etc) of the incra are interesting. Initialy these joints would be for drawers and small boxes but case work is a possibility in the future.

Thanks for your advice.

Chuck

Hi Chuck -

I've got an older Incra jig that's a model or two newer than the original (what Rockler is now selling), but doesn't have nearly as many refinements as the current full-blown Incra setup. In the few months I've had my old jig (bought it used on eBay for about $100) I've gotten quite a bit of use from it, -- mostly on the TS but also on the RT -- and it does indeed provide repeatable settings. I haven't really tried it for dovetails yet, but after watching the video (which is so old it features the original-style jig) it looks like a slick way to do them. (I also have a Rockler DT jig, and the few DTs I've done have been with it instead of the Incra.)

I'll let others here chime in about the merits of the PC 4212 or the Incra LS, but I've been happy with my old Incra jig. I'd love to have the full, current system, but for $100 I figure I'm going to get my money's worth. OF course, the TS would be better, but only you will know if it's that many dollars worth better. If you were to buy the "original" from Rockler, you could use it on your RT until such a time that you decide you need more features, then replace it with something better and use the old Incra on your drill press. It's the old "buy twice" syndrome, but at least you'd have a use for the old one somewhere else in your shop.

Keep in mind this is my somewhat rookie opinion...others here may have better advice.

I hope this helps -

- Vaughn

I have had an Incra Pro (not LS) and now have a Jointech for my router table. None are sufficient for casework, so if that's a real problem you're better off with something like a Leigh. Boxes and small drawers are as good as they get. The right angle fixture just can't hold large boards sufficiently. With the correct setup (i.e. dust collection and large enough bit openings), they do make fantastic router table fences though.

I've been considering getting one of the old style ones off ebay for a bandsaw fence. I've occasionally been lowballing bids on them when I think about it. Maybe now that a new version is for sale one of my lowball bids will stick .

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Chuck,

I purchased the original Incra Jig and still own it although it hasn't been used in a very long time. In it's day it was impressive but today I certainly wouldn't reccomend it, the state of the art jigs available these days are a much better alternative. Given the price and the fact you really need most of the accessories it is very expensive IMO and takes a bit of time to learn to use it to make the fancy joinery. I would rather reach higher and go for the more modern jigs made with extruded aluminum.

Chuck,
    Like Keith said save your money. I still have the original Incra Jig. It is difficult to adjust. If you are considering the LS, there is noway you would be happy with the original. I have the Pro-2 ultra on a router table & the LS on a table saw. The LS is the best of all of them.

6. Have an Incra Jig Ultra but using a Jointech! PIC

I just purchased a Jointech CabinetMaker's System to replace my Incra. Just worked more like I do. Take a look at the Jointech also, I'm not dissin the Incra, it is very accurate. I just think the Jointech offers the same features on a less complicated system. My Incra Ultra is packed away in the attic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steven

I think I will wait until I can get the LS. I have heard many people say they love the Jointech CabinetMaker's System, but I have never seen it in person, nor can I find anyone except jointech that sells it. I see the LS everywhere and watched a demo of it at the woodworking show. It was amazing!

In the meantime, I may just buy the PC 4212 to get the drawers done then worry about the fancy stuf when I get there. I would have to make a new router table to handle the LS and would probably want a lift of some sort also.

Thanks for all of your help and sugestions.

Chuck