Thread: Would this be worth a try?

Would this be worth a try?

Just got a new harbor freight catolog today and saw this and it caught my attention. Just thought it would be nice to have in the case that it works. I am thinking that I really don't need a full-time radial arm saw, but this would be nice in the evemt I do ever need one. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

-Swick

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33576

linear motion for under 50 bucks???????????maybe add a router. have to look at that next time i go to the city. thanks for the heads up. tod

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    linear motion for under 50 bucks???????????maybe add a router.
    Might be onto something there: with a cheap fixed router, it's the Mother Of All Dedicated Dado Machines.

Assuming you actually have a use for a MOADDM.

Years ago, I used a clone of that when I was building a picnic table. I borrowed it from the neighbor across the street who had just about every tool known to man, although many of Harbor Freight or similar quality.

I'd pass on it if offered it's use again.

The clamping mechanism wasn't secure enough to keep the thing from jiggling around. I was able to make the angled cuts I wanted to, but they weren't perfect. You can't dado with a regular circular saw, so it's only real use is making crosscuts.

A good straight edge, good protractor and a couple of clamps will yield just as good - or better - cuts. If you want something mindless, make up a shooting board.

Rob

The Craftsman radial arm saw which sells for about $450 on sale has a tough time staying square. I wouldn't put too much faith in that mechanism. JMHO
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I suggest you read this thread before I went any farther with it.

If a real one is wicked dangerous, what would a Wanna Be be like?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26428
    Only the Blue Roads

It doesn't look to me like it would be "stiff" enough to produce cuts any more accurate than what you could by hand. Plus setting the thing up every time you wanted to use it wouild be a pain. If you need something like that why not look for a used RAS or id spave is a problem, a used CMS. I see them all the time in pawn shops and the paper.

Hmm....that is cheap enough that it has me thinking. I have been tinkering with the idea of putting together a shop built CNC machine and for less than $50 I would be willing to scrap 3 of them just for pieces. For what they are charging I REALLY doubt they are using linear bearings, most likely they just have some sort of brass bushings in the carriage. However, if the carriage seems rugged enough it might be an inexpensive way to start putting together a new toy. Now where can I get some el cheapo lead screws???

I've used a RAS for the past 20 yrs. I like them, but I was always scared of it. I had to work hard to keep it in line and square. When it wasn't in line and square is when dangerous things started to happen. This item looks too dangerous to me. I wouldn't touch it. A few months ago my Sears RAS died and I picked up a used, like 50 yrs. used, DeWalt RAS. It cost me less than $200 and it works like a charm. It's like a different machine than the Sears. After the initial set-up I've had no problems for two months and I've used it a lot. I've seen a number of these on E-bay for less than $150. It would be a much better deal.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I've had the traditional Sears RAS for over 30 years. The old model that stays in place once set, but don't depend on the machine to set an angle. And it is FAR more hefty than the Harbor Freight gimmick.

The going price these days for a used Sears is someplace between $50 and $200 - at least you would have a real tool for your $100. I still use mine today, at least for rough "chop saw" cuts, but I have built several kitchens in the past with that RAS as the only power tool - cross cut, rips, and dados.