Thread: Exactor or Excaliber Sliding Table?

Exactor or Excaliber Sliding Table?

I'm ready to buy a new sliding table. My old one is the Mule. It's work well for what I paid for it, but I'm ready for a nicer one.

I've been studying the old threads, looking at the pros and cons of the various brands and have zeroed in on the Exactor and Excaliber. I was hoping that I could get some info from guys like Matt and Terry that is more recent than the 2003 thread.

I really want the Exactor EX26X - maybe even the one with the SS table, but it seems so pricey. I am able to find the Excalibur slt40 at several places with a slight discount, but I can only find the Exactor at the Exactor tools website for full list.

From the center of the blade, how much does each (slt40 v ex26x) extend to the front and to the back?

Has anyone used the mobility base for the Excalibur or the diagonal brace for the Exactor that allows you to unlock and lift the feet of the slider?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm chomping at the bit, but I need to hear from you first.

RC

Roland, I have neither but, you may want to PM Keith Outten. I believe he has the Excalibur and, from what I recall, is very happy with it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Exclibur Sliding table

Here's another option. You can buy a sliding table made for a Robland and mount it on your saw. Or the sliders with outriggers made for a General or a Jet. The latter two have outrigger supports, so, unlike the Excalibur/Exactor, you don't have the problem of table legs dangling down. Though made for their saws, the sliders are sold separately.

Outriggers are far more compact. The retrofit for a Robland is easy. Drill about 4 holes. The General and Jet would require a phone call to those companies.

I just took delivery yesterday on a General TS with their sliding table. The technician for the local tool dealer instructed me on the Biesemeyer fence install and aligment. My machine is being shipped 650 miles to my new home North of San Francisco.

When I asked the technician if the slider install would take me 300 hours. He laughed and said it wouldn't even take 1 hour.

I researched the saw for 10 months, and posted queries like yours. Those outriggers are pretty neat stuff. My slider only costs about $800. Having said that, an engineer at General in Quebec told me that the Excalibur is excellent equipment. So don't get paranoid. Outriggers have just a bit more innovative design.

Gary Curtis

I have the Jet and while it has its' share of foibles, in general, it is excellent. One issue with it is balance though. Jet recommends that you place angle iron out from the cabinet under the outrigger to balance the saw which negates the walk through feature of the outrigger. I ended up bolting my saw to the floor which allowed me to not have the angle iron. It is the only non-mobile tool in the shop. Since I bolted the saw down my performance has gone up considerably. It stays in alignment just fine which was a problem before the bolt down. The final reason I went with the Jet over the Excalibur/Exaktor was space. The Jet is pretty compact front to back although it takes up quite a bit of space side to side. Take a look at it, it is a nice option.

I have had the Excalibur SLT60 for about 8 years & have been very happy with it.

Exactor

I have the Excator that I used to have on my old saw and am about to mount on my PM66. I plan to have the legs rest on a shelf that is held up by two angle irons the are bolted to the front and back of the PM cabinet. This is how I did my other one and it worked fine. I don't want the legs on the floor for a couple of reasons and this has been my solution. I have had the PM66 since spring and only hesitated because I did not want to cut the fence rails, but I really miss the sliding table, do I am getting ready to mount it.

I don't know how the cost compares to other options as I bought mine about 6 years ago.

CPeter

Roland,

I own the Excaliber but if I was in the market today I would purchase the Exactor. Although they are very simular the Excaliper folks have a very bad reputation for answering the phone or responding to customers at all.

Both of these sliders have been improved since I purchased mine and either one will do a great job on your saw. I wouldn't ever want to use a table saw without a slider again.

I have the slt60. I've been very pleased with it. I wouldn't want a saw without one now. When I was shopping for a sliding table I remember comparing these 2 brands and deciding on Excalibur but I can't remember the specifics as to why. But I'm sure there were some good reasons at the time. I think it was based on a Fine WW review on them. I wouldn't want to put one of these babies on a movable base though. Once attached to your saw they become quite a big unit.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"