Thread: My Last Vacuum Pump Question

My Last Vacuum Pump Question

OK Folks. There have been a lot of questions on Vacuum pumps as of late and this will be the last one from me.

I have been perusing a popular auction site and have found a couple of cont duty pumps that I think will work for me. So here is my last question:

There are a bunch up and that auction site that are Gast. I cannot find a lot of information on Gast legacy products. The have a lot of great information on new products but not so much on the older. P in a Gast model number designates that it is setup as a pressure pump. But some of these similar looking units are designated with the V for vacuum. Can a P Gast pump be set up either way? I would have to assume that the only difference between these pumps is where the nipple is screwed into but I would just like check the knowlege base before I go bidding away.

Please hurry!!!!! The auction closes sooooooooonnnnnnn.......

And don't get any ideas bidding up my Vacuum Pump!!!!
    Matthew Poeller

I wouldn't buy one from auction, but that's just me. You can purchase a new one from Surplus Center for $89, Gast 1/4 horse.

I doubt the aution would be enough cheaper to risk it.

My first pump from Surplus Center broke within days. They sent a replacement out the same day I called, and included a postage paid return label. I took out the new pump, put the bad one in and was done.

I really like mine.

Matt, I agree with Steve, even though I got my pump from the auction. I think that after paying shipping it would have been less $$ to buy from Surplus Center. Another thing you need to be aware of is that a number of these pumps come from medical use as aspiration pumps, which means that bodily fluids may have been run through them. Finally, Gast has a good deal of information on their web site regarding their pumps, have you checked there?
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Cecil,

You are correct in that the previous application that the pump was used for is also important. I've heard that some of them could have handled hazaordous materials and you never know.

The savings don't justify the risk.

Well I think that it is decided then.....

I will buy from surplus center. I was shying away from that since I will have to buy the transformer as well. I do not have the ability to run the 220 right now. It can always be taken off later though.

Thank you both for your help.

I did look at the Gast website and did not find much on the units that do not mfg currently. The pump that was in question was a DOA-P104-AA that I was not able to find on the Gast website.

Thank you again.
    Matthew Poeller