Thread: Spalted wood precautions

Spalted wood precautions

I am just starting to venture into the world of turning. I have begun turning assorted wood from my firewood pile. Yesterday I just played around with a piece of spalted birch. It turned out to be a great looking piece of wood.
    I was poking around the internet and just read that you need to take extra precaution with spalted wood especially breathing in the dust.

So my question is.... how big a concern is this and do most people treat spalted wood with caution.

thanks, Howie

That would be a big YES

I take respiratory precautions with everything tool except for a knife and fork. Spalted is definitely something to be careful especially when those fine particulates are fungus/mold laiden. Since spalted wood is punky and prone to tearout, I usually treat the wood with 1#shellac to turn it more enjoyably. The positive aspect of this is that it does reduce some of the airboard nasties.

I am reminded of the family members dead/dying from emphysema. Having had asthma as a child and a retired allergist for a father, it's not negotiable. I have a responsibility to my family, too. I will admit there are times I've been stupid but they are few and far between. I hope to add a respirator now that I've gotten into turning. I use a full faceshield, an OSHA particulate/vapor barrier mask and ear protection except when turning. It's a challenge getting it all on. Oddly enough, my glasses have rarely fogged up in all the gear. That's my opinion.

Howie, I live on the shore of one of the Great Lakes and it is known for a high incidence of sinus problems related to the airborne fungus and other living creatures floating in the air. I guess that's why everyone talks funny and carry lots of kleenex. So I reckon it can be a problem. I personally don't wear a respirator while turning unless I'm using toxic finishes and stuff. Maybe I should reconsider....
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Respiratory Precautions

I use a Triton air filter and face shield. Currently on sale at www.craftsupply.com for 199 Usually about 250 -275. Picture and offer on the page listed.

The other combo product is the Trend. Same price range - I'm not aware of any sales currently.

Prior to starting to turn a year ago, I did flat work. Sawing or sanding Oak or Walnut would always result in a allergy issues. Over the weekend, I had the outfit on and ran some oak through the saw. No reaction.

Easy for spalted, which seems to come up alot for turners. At our local turning club meeting saturday -- we had 4 different items shown that were spalted.

John

Howie,

I do a fair amount of turning and understand what you are asking. Wood dust in general isn't good for your lungs or sinuses. The way I see it? Eye protection and breathing protection are needed when turning in general. You only get one set of lungs and one set of sinuses. I hope to keep mine until the day I pass from this ol' world. If you treat it all the same? Spalted or not, you'll be protected. I bought and have fallen in love with the Trend AirShield.
    Since using it, my doctor bills have been reduced due to fewer sinus infections and upper respiratory infections.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    ...Wood dust in general isn't good for your lungs or sinuses. ...
    Dennis...you just reminded me. My Grandfather died from woodworking. Brown Lung I guess was the final diagnosis....No Dust Collection, No mask, basement shop, every day. I don't know if the 2 packs of Camels a day had anything to do with it.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

If you want good respiratory protection (.3 microns at 99.97% efficiency), without spending hundreds of dollars, no glasses fogging, comfortable, and your face shield will fit over it, look into a North 7700 series half face respirator with the P100 filters.

I have worn this respirator in the sawmill for over 18 years as well as in the shop. In addition to all of the above, it is lightweight.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Gill
    If you want good respiratory protection (.3 microns at 99.97% efficiency), without spending hundreds of dollars, no glasses fogging, comfortable, and your face shield will fit over it, look into a North 7700 series half face respirator with the P100 filters.

I have worn this respirator in the sawmill for over 18 years as well as in the shop. In addition to all of the above, it is lightweight.
    I took Barb's advice and she is right. It is a very comfortable respirator and the only one I have ever liked enough to actually wear it!

Gotta weblink ?

Barb/Carol, do you have a link to a source for that respirator? I've never heard of it.

Howie,

Personally, I take the issue seriously. Not spalting specifically, but dust in general. I didn't take it quite as serious, until my father in law was diagnosed with Mesothelioma. After doing some research on this disease and other forms of lung cancer, I was less inclined to ignore the possible dangers. I had already noticed some "reactions" myself to turning exotics with cloth style masks just shortly after I started turning...

In short, I use a 3M Airshield AS-400. I'm not going to recommend one way or another on brand or price because I think everyone has their own unique situation, but I'll tell you how I made my decision. For me, all I had to do was look at a single year medical deductable and it seemed pretty simple, anything available on the market was less than that deductable. From there, I just looked for the features I wanted in a device and made my choice. I don't think the Triton unit mentioned by John was on the market yet, so my choices were narrower then. Lung conditions are rarely a temporary and easily cureable problem, so this is how I justified the cost to myself. In the end, that's all that matters.

As a side note, there are other things in my shop that I wanted to protect myself from besides wood dust. For example, we as turners spend alot of time at grinders sharpening our tools. As far as breathing goes, aluminum oxide and other compounds from grinding wheels are also a serious concern. Also, dislodged chunks of bark, etc. from large pieces was a concern for me which drove me in the direction of full face and head protection.

I hope with all the responses from the folks here you'll be able to find something that keeps you healthy, that's what really matters. At the very least, I think you'll see that most of us consider this issue as something you should be concerned about.
    Brad

http://www.storesonline.com/site/603595/page/369663
    http://www.storesonline.com/site/603595/page/369667

There are probably places on the web that are less expensive however the technical people at the above site were very helpful.
    Several factors that went into my decision not to buy one of the forced air rigs for turning was the weight and the realization that I would not wear it as much as the North. I tried the Triton which was comfortable around the house but I knew that if I used it for turning with my head down and moving around I wouldn't be using it long. Also I am not a fan of cordless tools; they always seem to need a charge when I need them. :-)

based on the responses I am receiving, seems like I should start
    exploring the different options there are regarding dust protection,
    not specifcally for spalted material but all dust as well.

I appreciate all of your responses.

thanks, Howie

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Gill
    I checked the link you provided...one question: they come in small/medium/large, any clue how the sizing is determined?

No, but you could call and talk to a salesman. Small fits me the best but I can also wear a med.