Thread: Delta Unisaw X5 Advice

Delta Unisaw X5 Advice

I would appreciate any input on the Delta X5 Unisaw. I have been looking at a Grizzly 1023SL or one of these for a while. The sales on the Delta look attractive.

My main concern is the various comments about the reduction in Delta quality as they move production offshore.

Thanks in advance.

both companies you mention stand behind their products but for service you must bring the saw to a service center, or pay for a site visit by a tech. please check with your local retailer/service center and ask their recomendations based on the fact that they would be providing any warranty service should the need arise. lots of the time dollars are best spent close to home...................02, tod

Rich....what I would do is find a local woodworking club near you and talk to the woodworkers who own those saws. Unless you are rich and have lots of money to spend...whats a little more time.

The Delta X5...I own a 1955 unisaw and its a pleasure to use...don't know anything about the new ones.

Grizzly...don't know squat about Grizzly...hell I can't even get a Grizzly catalogue - I am Canadian

Good luck in your seek of a new saw and be satisfied - and make thinks out of trees.

I have a new Unisaw X5, picked up at my local Woodcraft. I'm very pleased with the saw and the extra large extension and fence. It's smooth and passed the "nickel test" out of the box with no modifications (I had to know going from a Craftsman contractor saw).

I was a little disappointed with the mobile base's construction. My dad and I assembled it and had to do some modifications to get everything correctly squared up. It's fine now.

And for those not sure about quality: I had this in the back of my F250 when someone swerved in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and watched (in slow motion, I swear) as the saw scooted toward me and hit the base of my fifth wheel hitch mount, flipping over with a loud crash. Great. Got home, unloaded and unpacked, inspected everything (including getting inside to look at the trunnion). No cracks, dings or even evidence that it fell over. Good packing and good quality product, in my little experience.

And, as someone mentioned, the local guys stand behind their product. I like and trust them to help me out if required.
    Brian Austin
    Phoenix, AZ

"Rule One: Well, I won't get it done sittin' here drinking coffee.
    Rule Two: The best you can do is the best you can do, so don't panic."
    -- John Gierach

I also have the Unisaw X5 and agree with Brian about the quality - although I didn't try the "drop test"

I don't have mine on a mobile base so I can't speak to the quality there either. I love the extension tables and the extra rip capacity. I went with the Biesemeyer fence and have been extremely pleased with it. I "dialed" mine in and cuts are extremely accurate and repeatable. Have cut 8/4 oak stock on it and it has more than enough power to handle that. Blade that comes with it is fair and I use it mostly for rough cutting, for most tasks I use a Forrest WW II and find it to be a nice combination.

Couple of things about it that I feel are worth mentioning.

1) Budget in an aftermarket splitter as the factory one is really sub-par. I went with a Biesemeyer and have been really happy. Same with the blade guard.
    2) Once in a while when I start it, it makes a bit of a "banging" sound. A bit disturbing at first and I called Delta on it. Their explanation is that it is a power-to-weight issue with the motor. Basically the weight (or lack thereof) of the motor causes it to "jump" once in a while on startup. They said that it had been reported by others and is nothing to worry about. I believe(d) them and don't think much of it anymore. Passes the "nickle" test even when it thunks so....
    3) When installing the right extension table, the instructions call for a little "z" bracket which they don't ship with it. According to the Delta tech, it is a misprint and not necessary. I took him at his word and have seen no ill-effects of not having it. Looking at the way it attaches, intuitively there is no reason for it.

When I was researching a purchase, I wanted to spend the $$ once and buy the last saw I would ever own in my life (as a hobbiest) and I am convinced that I got it.

Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions that might help you decide.

Larry

Rich,
    I recently purchased the 5 horsepower X5 saw from Delta, I can't say enough good things about it...Tons of power, supper quality cuts! The BM fence is a absolute must, it is by far the best. That being said my first choice when I looked at saws was the General saw, it is made right outside Montreal and the quality is amazing!!! It is a little bit more money, and I wasn't really all that impressed with the fence but still a great saw....Just my 2c

Nate

I have a 5 yr old Unisaw. I like it a lot. I got a great deal on it. Otherwise, I'd have a Grizzly, Jet, etc. and probably be just as happy.

Jay St. Peter
    Jay St. Peter