Thread: Bible Box

Bible Box

I made this simple box for a friend. It was just a simple little project but I kind of like those as they are quick and easy. I hope the person that gets it will like it.

Happy Thanksgiving
    Attached Images Attached Images

hi george

nice box.. I also want to make one of these for fun. How about a couple of more pictures showing more of a side view and the inside as well. Bible boxes come in many styles. I have my eye on what I call the chip carved type usually made from red oak in the style of the late 16th and 17th century. I assume this one you have made is from walnut.

lou

Bible Box

Here is a side shot of the latest one without stain and before sanding.

This is a shot of the original I made for my friend.

They are in fact made from walnut. I like walnut fro small projects as they look really fancy. I belong to a carving club and some of the guys chip carve, they do some really cool boxes. They do the top and sides, I provide wood to them and I may try a chip carved box lid one of these days. It is very time consuming but they do look cool. If I do one I won't use basswood maybe butternut as I just bought some logs or perhaps walnut or a walnit box with a butternut panel or........

That is what makes woodworking fun isn't it!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

That's a great idea for a gift. Nice job with it too!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Very nice. I think the design, simple and unadorned, is very appropriate. The wood is great and your finish really enhanced it. I'm sure they'll love it!

Dave Fried

George, great work! I love that piece and the walnut is beautiful. I want to make a small version of one of these for my daughter and one for our coffee table as well.

Corey

George that is beautiful work. What a great idea for a gift. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.