Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benchtop Mortisers

One solution that has not been covered in this thread would entail the use of the multi router. The multi router jig is overpriced but its built very well and it does both the cutting of tenons as well as the cutting of correspoinding mortises. Aside from entry cost, its hard to find anything negative to say about the multi router.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Well Jay, I had just about dicided the same thing after reading the responses that I have received so far. It is funny that you responded at this time because I was out in the garage attempting to make a decent base for my Dewalt 621 out of plexiglass and use guide pins like the Rig-A-Mortise that I have seen pictures of. Had to stop as I do not have a 30mm bit to make a hole so that I can use guide bushings if I wish as I need to use it also for use on a dovetail jig. The 621 base is not easy to deal with. Would save me a real headach it I just ordered it form Pat Warner. Planned to make a jig to extend the surface to work on.

My first choice would have been to build an up plunge table like the one in "The New Router Handbook" but gave up as it looked difficult to attach the 621 to. Now that I think about it I might just drill some new holes in the base and bolt it to the table. In that case I might just as well buy a new router for the dovetail jig as I would get real tired moving the router back and forth. Goes on and on it seems. I have a Milwaukee 5615 but wanted two routers set up with different bits for the dovetails. I have a Milwaukee 5625 in a table. It is a shame that there seems to be no safe way to use that set up.

What is the best set up? How do you guys do it?

Dev, Will look into the multi router jig. I am not familiar with it.

Thanks for the input!!! Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 11-25-2005 at 9:18 PM.

A tad more info on the multi router

http://www.djmarks.com/multirouter.asp

I think JDS makes this thing and they may also have more info on their web site. May need to google this to find it.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Dev,

I remember now why I chose to forget it. Just looked at the price ($2699.00) and nearly had a heart attack.

Allen

Jay said it exactly right in my opinion. They produce square corners with a pretty ugly looking slot between them.