Thread: Good Customer Service (Long)

Good Customer Service (Long)

Back in March I decided to purchase the Grizzly G0555 band saw. Then my boss notified me that I was needed on a troubled project in Florida (we live just north of Los Angeles). Well ever since mid March I have been working in the Florida everglades, with only a long weekend home every 3-4 weeks. Being away from my family and my woodworking gets pretty frustrating, so I decided to treat myself to my new saw, provided that Grizzly could have it delivered right after I got home. I wanted to be there to inspect the packaging, and have time to assemble and try it out before returning to Florida. I emailed Grizzly's customer support but wasn't able to get a good comfort level that they could accommodate my schedule. About that time I came across John Miliunas' post about dealing with Bill Crofutt and his assistant Matt Carleton. I emailed them and Matt replied that if I would send them the order number they would see that it was delivered when I requested (after 4 pm on Friday). I am happy to report that Bill and Matt were as good as their word. I arrived home at 3:45 pm and the saw arrived exactly at 4 pm. The saw and riser kit went togather without much trouble, and I had a blast trying it out. If you have an issue with Grizzly, I highly recommend that you contact Bill or Matt; I think that you will find them a pleasure to do business with.

p.s. Next trip home I hope to try my hand at making some band saw boxes, so any recommendations on blades for that purpose would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cool Congrats!

p.s. Next trip home I hope to try my hand at making some band saw boxes, so any recommendations on blades for that purpose would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have fun with your new BS! Yeah, aren't Bill & Matt great to work with? Those guys are "aces" in my book.

I've done some BS boxes, but can't for the life of me, remember exactly which blade I finally decided on. I'll try to remember and check when I get home. I do know that, at least at that time, I ended up liking a specific Woodcraft Premium blade. (I'm thinking it was 1/4" or 3/16", 4TPI) I was still experimenting, so I didn't want to spend the $$ at Woodcraft for the Timberwolfs and didn't want to wait to have them sent directly from Suffolk. I'm planning on doing some more in the future, at which point I think I will spring for the Suffolk version. In thinking about it, I use the same blade for sawing turning blanks, too.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    [I]...so I didn't want to spend the $$ at Woodcraft for the Timberwolfs and didn't want to wait to have them sent directly from Suffolk. I'm planning on doing some more in the future, at which point I think I will spring for the Suffolk version. In thinking about it, I use the same blade for sawing turning blanks, too.
    Wait? What "wait"? <a href="http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/" target="_blank">Suffolk</a> ships "really quick"...I've received my orders in one or two days, depending on when I call them. Your shipping time should only be a day longer or so. And considering the direct price is close to half the retail packaged price for blade assembled by others from the same blade stock, it's worth buying from them for your "regular" blade purchases. What I really like about them is that you can talk to them about what you are planning on doing and they will make specific recommendations about what you should be using. Case in point...they recommend a different 1/2" blade (AS) for cutting turning blanks from wet wood than they do for resawing. (PS) They also will know the next time you call to reorder what you have been buying which greatly speeds and eases the process. Nice folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, you've got that right, Suffolk is right up there with the best of them when it comes to professional, FRIENDLY service. Oh yea, and top notch products to boot. Lars

Cool Listen up...

[QUOTE=Jim Becker]Wait? What "wait"?

No, no, Jim. You don't seem to understand. I wanted a different blade and I wanted it *NOW* ! Unless Suffolk can telepathically transport one of those nice Timberwolfs to my doorstep while I'm on my way home, great!

Seriously, I know about the great service at Suffolk and they will get my BS blade business. That, plust I really DO like Timberwolf and their prices are second to none!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Hey there little feller keep your shorts on good thing come to those who wait. If you buy any old blade now the cost could pay for 1/2 the cost of the second Timberwolf blade. Sheesh the impatience of these young fellers now days.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Sheesh the impatience of these young fellers now days.
    "Young fellers..."??? Ahem. I'll have you know, what you're calling "impatience" is in response to the cravings of my very own mid-life crisis! So there, that doesn't make me a "young feller", either! Kripes, a guy gets into his 50's and he thinks everyone *any* younger than him is a young pup! You just wait...One of these days, I'll catch up to your age and *then* we'll talk!
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-02-2003 at 5:09 AM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Kripes, a guy gets into his 50's and he thinks everyone *any* younger than him is a young pup! You just wait...One of these days, I'll catch up to your age and *then* we'll talk!

Oh shucks you been lookin...........He He He. Its great I like people with a good sense of humor.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-02-2003 at 5:09 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

He He He. Its great I like people with a good sense of humor.

Heck, over the years I've learned that a "sense of humor" is something nobody can take away from you and, best of all, it's FREE!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Doug Cowan Back in March I decided to purchase the Grizzly G0555 band saw.
    Doug,

How do you like your band saw? I'm looking at that one or the Delta with the blade release. This is a 14" saw right?

thanks, Pete
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-02-2003 at 5:11 AM. Reason: corrected Quote code

Pete,

It is a 14" saw, and I added the the riser kit. Based on one weekends use I really like it. In doing my research, most everything I read, both user comments and reviews, was very possitive. Also it seemed that I would need to spend several hundred dollars more on other brands to get the same features. The saw, riser kit and mobil base delivered to my door was $557.

One thing I really like about Grizzly is their referal program. I emailed Grizzly and asked for names of G0555 owners in my area. They sent me the name of a really nice guy who lives about 2 miles away. I spent some time with him trying out his saw and came away sold. I would recomend that as your next step. The blade that comes with the saw is nothing special, but I understand that to be typical. I plan to call Suffolk Machinery and order some Timberwolf blades.

Let me know if you need any more info.
    Last edited by Doug Cowan; 07-02-2003 at 9:20 AM.

Heck, over the years I've learned that a "sense of humor" is something nobody can take away from you and, best of all, it's FREE! [/QUOTE].................................................. ...................................

Wow To see young feller like you thats so smart whats this world coming too anyway. He He He....

Our Daughter & Grandchildren live in Janesville where is Spring Green in relation to Janesville?

We're thinking of a trip back ther in the next year or two & if its not to far out of the way maybe we could say hi.....
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 07-02-2003 at 9:32 AM.

Our Daughter & Grandchildren live in Janesville where is Spring Green in relation to Janesville?

We're thinking of a trip back ther in the next year or two & if its not to far out of the way maybe we could say hi.....[/QUOTE]

Janesville?! That's but a hop, skip and jump away! About an hour, max. You just let us know when you're coming through and you'll be treated to some REAL Wisconsin food: Brats, potatoe salad, beer and cheese curds. Oh, did I mention beer? To top that off, LOML makes a cheesecake second to none and I've tried them from little "mom & pop" places, right on up to the real classy joints. They just don't compare! And we can wash that down with some beer. Needless to say, we'll need to spend a little time in the shop, talking wood, tools and maybe having a beer or two. It's a real purdy area around here and not quite as flat as the Janesville area, which keeps it a bit more interesting. Quite a few neat places to visit and plenty of watering holes, all serving ice-cold beer. Oh, and if you have one or two too many of those barley pops, we also have a couple spare bedrooms! Look forward to meeting up with you and yours!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas