Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Warning.....Graphic Pics

I would have the hole in the fence just big enough for the cutter to fit through. I made the same item years ago on a shaper but had the use of a power feeder.Isn't there an after market jig with handles that will clamp onto the stock to make handling small items safe? Something like this from Lee Valley, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...80&cat=1,43000 . I did something similar but with my biscuit joiner, trying to hold 3/4 sq. stock about 12" long and had a dull blade which kicked out the stock, letting my left hand middle finger into the cutter. Loss of nerves in that finger makes using that finger difficult now.

Shelley.....again...thanks for your post! Glad to see you had the courage to get back into the shop! Great idea on the guide blocks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Oh, my, Shelley. Definitely a wake-up call to all. I hope you heal well and don't have too many issues with your fingers. Ouch!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shelly,

Good luck with the recovery and Im glad it wasnt worse... I had a little run in with my router about 2 yrs ago, not as bad as yours, but it definitely taught me to be more careful in the shop.

--
    John Cavanaugh

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    What's with the killer routers this week
    Feel better soon Shelly
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Shelly, sorry for your loss and pain. The word you are looking for is complacency.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Shelley,
    Ouch! It wasn’t easy for me to view the pictures – I’ve been passing by this thread all weekend long (I'm a big pansy). I hate it when people get hurt like this. Don’t ignore those premonitions!

Baby yourself and heal quickly!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wish I had read your thread before Saturday. Might have gotten me thinking a little more! Glad you were able to make it back into the shop quicky.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you posted. Many of us are self-taught and reading about these mishaps really does help us think about safer use of tools like routers. Get well soon!

Shelly,

Thanks for the post! Your pictures aren't too gross, at least you took them after it had been cleaned up

Here's to hoping that you recover fully!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Shelly thanks for the "safety reminder". Unfortunately it look like a painfull one.

It brings up a question though.. What type of coping sleds are out there for router tables?? Who has made them, who as bought a over the counter? I've used a rail and stile set up on a number of raised panel doors without incident but I normally try to make the cope cuts on a 6"ish wide board then rip to width for the rails.. After reading/seeing Shelly's post I'm going to re-think that whole process out again and use a sled..

Rich

Thanks for the post Shelly, but you really didn't have to go to that much trouble to remind us about workshop safety. That looks really bad though and I hope it heals up soon. I think the router is the tool that I fear most for exactly the reason you posted.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Shelly

Thanks for posting. There is only one thing smarter than learning from your own mistakes and that is learning from the mistakes of others - you just gave us all a chance to do just that. I hope that you heel quickly and are back in the shop soon.

Wow Shelley, I'm really sorry to hear/see that. That has got to hurt. I hope you heal up real soon.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Geez Shelley!

I was aware you had a accident with the router and hoped that it wasnt this bad. And yes it could have been worse but that was bad enough.

I had a accident some yrs back which amputated the end of my left index finger it wasnt a shop accident but it was work related and it hurt like #%*#* for some time. I'm sure glad you posted in the turners forum as I dont often come up here.

Take care of that hand and heal up quickly. Mike is going to have to keep closer watch over ya.

Bob