Thread: Just a new guy with a monster burl

Vancouver Island, in beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Just a new guy with a monster burl

Hello folks

I've been a browser of this site for a while now and just decided to register and possibly get some ideas for my project.

In my yard I have a big old maple tree that was badly burned many years ago. I'm assuming somebody tried to kill it by getting a fire going under the roots. As a result, the tree healed itself by forming burls just above the roots and kept on growing.

I have watched the burls grow over the 19 years that I've lived here, and put up with constantly cleaning up under the giant tree. The time has come when I need to remove the tree to relieve the pressure of cleanup. The burls are approximately four feet high and grow all the way around the tree, but there is an opening on one side and the inside is hollow. It measures 30 feet around the outside of the burls.

I'm carefully hand digging around the roots below the burls and will cut the roots off. It's close to being ready to cut the roots and remove it. I'll store it in an outbuilding and remove all the rotten wood from the inside and bark from the outside. Then I will decide what to make out of it.

Because of the fire the burls are just a shell of approximately 6 inches in thickness, so I'm thinking it will dry pretty well. The idea I have for it is to have the entire piece upside down and place a granite slab on top to make a bar.

I have a picture that I'll try to send on my next post, I tried already but ended up losing everything I typed, so I'll play it safe and send this post first.

I'd appreciate any advice and input that you wood working experts may have. Thanks.

Glen

Glen - You probably made the same mistake we all did when posting for the first time.

Type your words, upload the picture, BUT DO NOT PREVIEW, just submit.
    Only the Blue Roads

Thanks Andy, I'll have to wait until tomorrow, I'll take a new picture. The one I have is to big a file to post.

Welcome to the Creek, Glen. If you have any photo editing software (likely came with your camera), you can probably save the picture as a smaller size to reduce the file size. 600 pixels wide is usually a workable size. There are other ways to reduce the file size by changing the resolution, but your software may or may not have that capability. You probably don't need to take another picture (and the new one will likely be about the same size as the first one, unless you can change the settings in your camera).

BTW, sounds like a heck of a burl. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

- Vaughn

Glen,

Welcome to the "Creek" Glen. If you've been lurking you know what a great site this is. The burl sounds great, can't wait to see some pictures. I would echo Vaughn's post in that it is a pretty easy thing to change the size of the picture. Most camera's come with software to do this. If you let us know what software you have, there is usually someone on the site that can tell you how to resize the picture.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Welcome Glen. You won't find a better site for info and friends. I have learned more than I can ever give back. Can't wait to see the pictures.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hopefully, here's some pictures.

Hey people! thanks for your interest. I'll take some more pictures and post them when I have it removed. You can see the roots are nearly exposed enough to powerwash and start cutting. If you think I'm making a mistake, please let me know soon. Thanks

Glen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glen,

Try http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm to resize your pictures. PIXresizer is one of 3 programs that are pretty poplar but I find this one quite easy to use and downloads with no problems. As someone mention, 600 is a good width, 450 a good length.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

What an awesome sight that is Glen. Course, I wouldn't think of making a table....I'd put it on a spinny thing....Sure hope it works out for you though!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks John. I fully understand why you would want to turn it, but the problem is the burls are already all hollow. The outer shell is all that is left, so I don't think there's enough left to turn.

With a lot of work and sandpaper couldn't I make it beautiful if I left it all in one large piece? I have about 10 years before I retire, and would like to make it last for a few more years after that.

Oh, I'm sure it'll last for generations and be gorgeous. Really looking forward to seeing the finished project.....and progress pics to boot!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Here's a few progress pictures

Hello again!

I now have the burl cut all the way around and have physically lifted the right hand side up about 4 inches with my backhoe. The left side still has a little bit in the middle hanging on so I need a longer chainsaw bar. The saw that I've used so far is a little 14 inch hardware store special and there's only inches hanging on in one place under the biggest burl.

The first four pictures are a piece of root that I cut out of the centre. I peeled the bark off it.The entire stump is hollow just like that and has the same character.

The dark picture is of me inside the burl where I've done most of the cutting. It gives you a perspective of how large this piece of wood is. Judgeing by the weight of the one side I dont think the whole thing weighs more than about 3000 lbs. I will easily lift it out with the backhoe. The wood structure is very tight and judgeing by what Ive done to it so far I think it's very strong.

Glen

All I can say Glen is......HOLY CRAP that's neat!!!!!!!! I'm sure there are alot of guys and gals drooliing over your wonderful find. I too am looking forward to watching your progress.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I just wanna see the lathe you chuck that bad boy up in. That's a remarkable piece of wood.

- Vaughn

Edited to add...I found the lathe...from a thread in the OT forum:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1131590464

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 12-10-2005 at 11:05 PM.

progress made today!

It came out beautifully, no damage. This is the most fun I've had since I was 12 years old.