Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purpleheart Wine Cellar Buffet

Blog Entries
    Bravo!!! Most impressive!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

VERY nice ! Outstanding even. When I first saw purpleheart and wine cabinet I was thinking $$$$ and heavy !!! What a beautiful piece.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

3. Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing those photos and advice. Keep 'em coming, it's fun and inspiring
    to see how the pros do it.

Javier took the words out of my mouth. It's nice to see how the pros do it here, so guys like me can have goal to shoot for. Beautiful work, Roger, and thanks for sharing it.

- Vaughn

This is a lovely piece, from design to execution. Great work.

awesome

Beautiful piece! It looks like you tried to match the arch of the top part with the arch of the inset space--is that right? Did you put up some sort of sheet and trace it to make a template? I've gotten into arches lately.
    -Rob

Keith-- yes, there was a lot of them $$ involved, but Purpleheart wasn't that expensive, at the time about $5 for 4/4 and $6 for the 8/4 (wholesale). The PH was his spec. and he had purchasing at the co. he was evp at order it, the kicker was that on a high dollar pc. I like to get 2X the estimate of lumber, to allow for matching up. I told him I wanted , between 4/4 and 8/4, about 240 b.f., they showed up with 320 b.f, OK!!. The good part also was that I hard bid labor and a guesstimite on material. It allowed me to use the best stuff I could get, as in the hinges were like 20 something a pc..Extruded and machined not stamped.

Rob, yea the upper cabinet is laid out to be 8" smaller rad. than the arched alcove. Accually I took measurements at the house and duplicated it on a sheet of 1/4 birch, then drew the cabinet on it full scale. A full scale drawing on a complicated pc. is a life and time saver. Just make the structure to fit the drawing like a puzzle. As I was finishing putting the top together I thought I should have made a cutting and went out to their house and double checked that my layout from the measurements was correct, but . Must have measured right as it's 8" and even all around the arch.

Roger