Thread: Cypress

Cypress

Just discovered a Cypress sawmill a few miles from our house. They offer rough kiln dried cypress at what I think is a very reasonable price. I have never worked with cypress and wonder how well it machines? Would this lumber be suitable for several blanket chests I want to build?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Todd
    Just discovered a Cypress sawmill a few miles from our house. They offer rough kiln dried cypress at what I think is a very reasonable price. I have never worked with cypress and wonder how well it machines? Would this lumber be suitable for several blanket chests I want to build?
    Cypress is a nice species to work with and is similar to other softwoods in that respect. Most generally, it's ideal for outdoor projects as it's naturally weather resistant and much less expensive than most other options in that respect. For that application, it's generally best to use as much of the vertical grain material as you can as the "cathedral" grain can tend to splinter off after a lot of exposure. Buy wider boards and use the material at the edges for your project parts and keep the centers for utility purposes or components that are not visible. I use cypress for all my outdoor projects, from furniture to birdhouses and feeder.

For indoor use, cypress has a nice look. Use the same techniques for finishing that you would for pine, etc. Be aware that this is not a "hard" wood and it will dent if you whack it...but then again, that's "patina"!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Pretty Furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Todd
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Jerry,

I have never used cypress however, my Sister had a condo in Cedar Key Florida which had a lot of the trim work in natural finished cypress. She also had a lot of cypress furniture that I thought was beautiful. I always wanted to try it my self - but never ran across any for sale at a decent price.

If I were youI would certainly try some thing small to see how you like it.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I've planked a couple of different sized boats with cypress and I really enjoy working with it. Jim is spot on about the grain issue: if you can pick your wood, try to get the dark vertical grain stock. Cypress also sucks up water(and paint) like a sponge therefore you can expect it to move with the humidity.

Chadd
    Chadd

Cypress

South of you on US 441 across the RR tracks? When did they get a kiln? Last time I was there (3-4 yrs back) all they had was air dried. Anyway, they are very fine folks, reasonably priced. I enjoy working with cypress, it mills and finishes very well. Made many many Noah's Arks with cypress!
    Tony

Hey Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    South of you on US 441 across the RR tracks? When did they get a kiln? Last time I was there (3-4 yrs back) all they had was air dried. Anyway, they are very fine folks, reasonably priced. I enjoy working with cypress, it mills and finishes very well. Made many many Noah's Arks with cypress!
    I did not see the kiln on the property so they must send it somplace else. Check their Web site for the prices of kiln dried.
    http://www.griffislumber.com/aboutus.html
    Their printed price list shows a larger selection than the web site.. Anyway do you think the kiln dried cypress would work for a blanket chest?
    Do you know of any wood sources up your way?
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Lumber Sources

The most frustrating thing about woodworking is getting good lumber. It is not easy to come by in these parts. I buy most of mine from a lumber yard in Lake City, they carry the standard plywoods and pine boards. They have very limited hardwoods, but will special order. I understand there is a place in Ocala that specializes in hardwoods. http://www.woodshopocala.com/
    I've never been there, do not know them and have no affiliation with them, but I do plan to check them out. I used to get hardwoods from a place in St. Petersburg (our daughter lives there), a wonderful selection of hardwoods of all kinds, but the place closed down a few years back. There is a contractor supply in north G'ville, take US 441 south past Griffis, turn left at the FHP station, about a mile down on the left. They are (or used to be) a heatilator dealer, that's how I got to know them. Don't know what kinds of lumber they keep in stock, but they are a lot more professional than the big box. Good luck, and let me know if you need anything. Advise is cheep, I have plenty of it, but sometimes you'll get what you paid for!
    To answer your question, I wouldn't hesitate to use the cypress for a blanket chest.
    Tony