Thread: Router Strategy Advice

Router Strategy Advice

I need to make a decision about a router top on my saw table.
    My routing needs will be quite limited and specific. I own a WoodRat, so that machine powered by a DeWalt 625 will do all mortise, tenon, dovetail, dowel and mitre joints.

Dismounting the DeWalt to move it to another location would be cumbersome. Largely because of re-calibration needed when I move it back.

So I want some kind of a routing bench. I plan to do long edge jointing for about a year, and all Dado work on it. I plan on doing a lot of tall shelving with dados. The shelves are for an aircraft hangar, and I don't relish crosscuting Dados in 9-foot cabinet sides on a table saw.

There are three choices open to me:

1) Dismount the DeWalt and move it to the table each use.

2) Mount my 1hp (20-year old w/ 1/4 bits only) Makita 3606 in the table and leave the WoodRat alone

3) Buy a new router dedicated to the table.

It doesn't seem to me that one lift will work for the different routers. What strategy would save money and serve my needs. Name brands, models, sizes if you feel strongly.

Gary Curtis

I'm pretty fond of my hitachi M12v. I have it in my extention table for my table saw. I'ts the reason I bought it I didn't want to keep having to remove my P.C. Router everytime I wanted to to some routing by hand. I found it a lowes for 129.00. If you look around you may find it for about the same price. Even at the regular price it's pretty hard to beat price wise for a 3hp router.

I agree with Russ--spring for another smaller/lighter router.

However if I were to be cutting repetitive cross-cut dovetails in long boards I would put the dado blades on my RAS, after setting up long infeed/outfeed tables, rig a positive stop for repeating cuts and saw away. In fact I have my old Craftsman 12" RAS set up with a home made fence at the back of the table. I believe I can crosscut 24", thus enabling cutting 2 opposing shelf uprights simultaneouly.

Same goes for cross-cutting the actual shelves repetitively.

This type of operation is about the only reason I keep this old saw around.

Best

Bill Fields

Gary,

I agree that changing routers around is a pain.

The people that report on the M12V seem to like them but I have a milwaukee 5625 in a table and REALLY like it. For one you do not need a lift--just cut a hole in the table the size you need and bolt it directly to the top. The height adjustment can either be made at the router or through a hold drilled in the table top with a T handle wrench. A simple, effective method and no lift cost. Look at the way Pat Warner has his 5625 mounted at: www.patwarner.com

The 5625 is 3 1/2 hp and runs around $300 but can be found sometimes for around $250 or $260 but remember no lift cost. For heavy use I would not use a plunge router. That subject is also addressed at the Pat Warner site.

I use my 5625 for turning large bits, like panel raising bits, and it is a real horse. It soulds like that you would not really need all of that power for what you are going to do. If that is the case you can save quite a bit by droping down the the 5616, 2 1/4hp for about $170 with the same options. One step lower to the 5615, 1 3/4 hp with the same setup, which I use as a hand held and really like, for about $145. I LOVE THESE ROUTERS!!!! They are quality. You said that if you felt strongly about it say so. No-----I have no connection with Milwaukee. I just feel that their tools are real quality. They do not have plunge routers and I do not know why unless they feel that they cannot make one to their standards.

By the way, I know that you must like the D 625. Fits perfect with Wood Rat I see. I have the D 621 and like it for a handheld. It is a lot better with some base modifications.

Take a look at the Pat Warner site. Tons of information. There is one section on selecting routers.

After reading your post again I am not sure if you want to mount the router or use it as a handheld. In either case I still believe I would go with one of the Milwaukees unless I was going to do a lot of plunging.

Good luck in your quest.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 11-26-2005 at 9:23 PM.