Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Three Inches of Twist

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    I think you better get that watch battery checked. Seem no mortal could do all that in 60 hrs. Very nice though.

Richard
    I am as amazed as Richard is. You did all that in 60 hours? Great job, as always, Bob.

No big deal. Simple boats. You can build one from scratch in 80 if you have patterns, and 100 if you have to loft.

What the photo sequence doesn't show is work on oars and other doodads began on Day One waiting for the glue to cure....it's just a mater of efficient management.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Bob, thanks for posting this here. I read it and admired the work there as well.

I hope the owner of the boat has many years of enjoyment from the boat and your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    No big deal. Simple boats. You can build one from scratch in 80 if you have patterns, and 100 if you have to loft.

What the photo sequence doesn't show is work on oars and other doodads began on Day One waiting for the glue to cure....it's just a mater of efficient management.
    Bob, first of all what does "if you have to loft" mean? It sounds like a nautical term for building by "winging it".

I guess I can believe 80 hours to build such a boat with plans. For me, at least, I think it would be easier to build the boat than to repair it the way that you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Bob, first of all what does "if you have to loft" mean? It sounds like a nautical term for building by "winging it".
    Before computers, boat lines were originally obtained with a carved wooden model of the hull then measuring it to obtain a "Table of Offsets" like the one below:

The offsets are just heights from a baseline along the sequential "stations" or framing members of a hull. They are also breadths from a centerline (halfbreadths) to get the widths and diagonals.

"Lofting" is to draw the boat full size on a white-painted floor or plywood sheets to make the molds and patterns for the various parts.

Sounds tricky but it's really straightforward, and one can solve a lot of shape and dimension problems simply by extending some lines and lofting out the part to make a pattern.

From no more than that table above and the scantling sizes, the Dion Punt below was lofted and built in 80 hours:

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 11-27-2005 at 7:48 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Moving to Boat Building Forum...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan