Thread: Toy Box

Toy Box

Here is a toy chest that I did for a customer. He came over this afternoon and picked it up to take it home to paint.

Nothing special for sure but nevertheless it is what I did today. The toy box is made of poplar and 1/4" beadboard plywood. I used butt hinges and a friction lid stay to help keep the lid from slamming on those little fingers.

I've got several smaller projects like this to get out before Christmas.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Jim,

How are the beadboard panels held in? grooves or held by trim?

I like the box, nice feet. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Jim,

Your customer may call it a "toy box" but I see a beautiful blanket chest in that picture.

Excellent job and I do hope you will give a few more details if you find time.

Looks good Jim!

Did you turn the legs or get them from another source? If you didn't turn them, would you mind telling the source? Thanks,
    Ron
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich
    Jim,

How are the beadboard panels held in? grooves or held by trim?

I like the box, nice feet. Thanks for sharing.

Pete
    The box frames are made with a traditional style and rail set with a plywood insert instead of the full 1/4". So the panels are set in a groove just like a flat panel door would be made.

The feet are homemade too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy
    Did you turn the legs or get them from another source? If you didn't turn them, would you mind telling the source? Thanks,
    Ron
    I turned them myself, sorry no source available

Very nice Jim. It will definitely outlast the kid!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice. I like the turned legs.
    Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

I don't see it. Is it just me?

I like it...and have something like it on "my list"...assuming I ever get time to work on "my list" again!! LOL!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks good. Why paint, it looks like it would be pretty with a nice finish? If I may offer a suggestion. Whenever they are going to use it for a toy box, I put 3/4" spacers on each front corner and a 3/4" riser under each hinge. These can come off later when the use is changed to a chest. In the mean time they keep little fingers from being mashed. If you have two or more kids playing, one or two can push down the lid hard enough to overcome the friction hinges. This also leaves a air gap should the kid crawl in and the lid closes. I first did this on the chest I made for my grandson.

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/show...p?i=1292&c=197

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/show...p?i=1293&c=197

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/show...p?i=1294&c=197

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    Looks good. Why paint, it looks like it would be pretty with a nice finish? If I may offer a suggestion. Whenever they are going to use it for a toy box, I put 3/4" spacers on each front corner and a 3/4" riser under each hinge. These can come off later when the use is changed to a chest. In the mean time they keep little fingers from being mashed. If you have two or more kids playing, one or two can push down the lid hard enough to overcome the friction hinges. This also leaves a air gap should the kid crawl in and the lid closes. I first did this on the chest I made for my grandson.

George
    That is a good idea!! I was working on a little something similar but I forgot to get it done before I assembled the box. Oh well, next time maybe. The customer came up with the design for me.

Nice work Jim!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Jim,

Your customer may call it a "toy box" but I see a beautiful blanket chest in that picture.

Excellent job and I do hope you will give a few more details if you find time.
    Bob, The dimensions of the chest are 36" in total length 18" total width, legs 3 1/2", height of top railing is 3 1/2, the box itself is 14" in height, 16 1/2 in width and 34 1/2" in length. I made this one out of poplar and 1/4" beadboard plywood but any kind of material would do. If it were made out of oak or walnut or cherry it would really be nice. I rounded the edges of the top and bottom with a 3/4" radius shaper cutter and mounted the box to the bottom leaving a 1/4" reveal all around. The bottom is screw to the box but not glued to allow for seasonal changes in the wood. The lid is put on with butt hinges mortised into the side of the box and the lid. I used a friction lid stay to keep the lid from slamming shut.

If you need any further information just holler.

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    George
    This is a great idea! I am supposed to be working on a toy box starting in Jan, we will see!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"