Thread: Where to leave your mark?

Where to leave your mark?

I've recently read several threads dealing with signing, engraving, gluing coins, branding, etc. your work when finished. My question is how you go about locating your mark. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I feel like it is something that I made, and therefore, have a right to mark it anyway I want. On the other hand, I am a bit uneasy about having my name in a prominent place on the piece. I suppose it would be different if I were nationally renown and my name meant something to the piece, but I'm not. Any advice would be helpful on dealing with where to mark your piece. My brand of choice is a branding iron with my name on it.
    Keel McDonald ><>

On a piece of funiture designed to go against a wall, I usually mark the back. On tables, I usually mark underneath. I've stated marking pieces with drawers on one of the drawer sides. Until last month, I just signed, printed my name, and dated with a Sharpie. Now I have a branding iron so I'll probably brand then sign and date with the Sharpie. On pieces I've made for others, I wrote my location since both pieces were for people living out of state.

Keel -

I do mine similar to they way Matt does his. Theory is that if someone wants to look for the maker they will examine the entire piece, not just the front or the inside of drawers.

I like the coin with the year and Sharpie<sup>®</sup> signature technique. Haven't made it up the the branding iron stage.

Ted