Thread: Need Table Saw Advise

Need Table Saw Advise

"TRUNNIONS ON A CABINET SAW ARE HEAVIER DUTY AND MUCH EASIER TO ADJUST SQUARE THAN TRUNNIONS ON CONTRACTOR & HYBRID STYLE SAWS"

I've heard/read this regarding trunnions in several reviews. Can anyone enlighten me as to how important the adjustment advantage is? I'm comparing a hybrid to a Griz cabinet and am clear on most other advantages/disadvantages when comparing the two....but never having had to adjust a table saw, was wondering how important this feature is.

Thanks in advance.

On contractor saws and I think hybrid saws, the trunnion is attached to the table. In order to adjust them you have to loosen the trunnion and move the assembly to try to get it square to the miter slots on the table. This is usually difficult to do as you have to work under the table then on top to check your progress. On a cab. saw all you have to do is loosen the bolts that hold the table to the cab. and make your adjustment. In other words, the trunnion doesn't move the table does. And, IMHO, having adjusted a contractor saw the CS is about 4 times easier if you ever have to adjust one, which you will not in all probability.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

wether or not you ever need to adjust the trunions go for the heaviest/largest horsepower saw you can swing. .02 tod

Having aligned both contractor and cabinet saws the cabinet saw is way easier and my new sawstop cabinet saw the quickest. It has set screws on either side of the top at the back with a pivot point in the front. Loosen the 4 bolts holding the table, adjust the set screws then tighten the table. The set screws hold the alignment when the table bolts are tightened.

I've had to make this adjustment twice with my Delta contractor saw. It wasn't fun either time. I'd losen the four bolts, adjust, measure, tighten, measure, find it moved. Losen, adust, measure, tighten, measure, losen, ok - you get the idea.

Most hybrids have the trunnions mounted to the table top like a contractor saw's. The exceptions are the hybrids/cabinet saws from Sears (aka "zip code" saws)...these have cabinet mounted trunnions and are a snap to align. Note that they're not as commercial grade as the Griz cabinet saw with it's more massive trunnions, but do have a similar trunnion mounting system.

I've owned and aligned both....no comparison IMO. Aligning a contractor saw requires moving the entire carriage assembly to the table...an hour would be doing pretty well. I aligned my Sears 22124 trunnions in under 10 minutes including time to actually read the instructions....with the cabinet mounted trunnions you align the table to the blade while you stand there and watch the alignment getting closer. The good news is that most good contractor saws will hold their alignment pretty well unless something puts alot of stress on the trunnions...like hitting the motor on something. A PALS system can help with contrator saw alignment and will help hold the trunnions in place better. A cabinet saw (or the zip code saws) are more likely to hold their settings than a contractor saw.

I was able to get a better alignment with my cabinet mounted trunnions than I was with my contractor saw, but I've read of others getting their contrator saw pretty darn close.

Cabinet mounted trunnions are easier, but both are doable.

(on a side note, the hybrids have heavier connecting rods than contactor saws, plus the motor doesn't cantilever out the back, so it seems intuitive to me that the hybrids stand a better chance of holding their alignment because of their design....not as well as a cabinet saw, but better than most contractor saws.)
    Last edited by scott spencer; 11-28-2005 at 9:11 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the input. I think this is a win win situation because either style saw is a huge upgrade from what I'm using now. It's interesting though...hybrids immediately went to the top of my list because I have a small space and the motor being under the base (small footprint) was important. BUT the cabinet saw I'm considering actually has a slightly smaller footprint. (without extensions) The $200 - $300 difference seems to be worth it when considering how long I will have the saw.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by john whittaker
    Thanks for the input. I think this is a win win situation because either style saw is a huge upgrade from what I'm using now. It's interesting though...hybrids immediately went to the top of my list because I have a small space and the motor being under the base (small footprint) was important. BUT the cabinet saw I'm considering actually has a slightly smaller footprint. (without extensions) The $200 - $300 difference seems to be worth it when considering how long I will have the saw.

Thanks again
    Go for it!

I agree with Frank, go for it. If you can afford the cabinet saw and the space issues are a wash between the saws, get the better saw. I'd strongly suggest a mobile base if space is as limited as you imply. Walking around my saw constantly when I'm not using is really annoying. Don't forget to check power requirements though. The cabinet saws are generally more greedy with the electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Baldwin
    I agree with Frank, go for it. If you can afford the cabinet saw and the space issues are a wash between the saws, get the better saw. I'd strongly suggest a mobile base if space is as limited as you imply. Walking around my saw constantly when I'm not using is really annoying. Don't forget to check power requirements though. The cabinet saws are generally more greedy with the electrons.
    Now it's my turn to agree with Brett. Get a mobile base. All my machines are on mobile bases and I am really really happy that they are.