Thread: flooring stapler v nailer

flooring stapler v nailer

so i'm about to start my hardwood and my inlaws brought me their flooring stapler to use. but i've always used a flooring nailer. any probs with the stapler? any advice on the stapler. it's good quality. a bostitch.

thanx
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

The stapler will work great, make sure you oil it before each use and that when you fire it the board is where you want it to remain. It's tough work on your back because of the semi hunched position you work in but the stapler will definitely hold the flooring down.

-Alden

When I was looking to buy a gun to attach hardwood flooring to the floor, I looked into the stapler. I did not like it for a variety of reasons. What I found was that the porta-nails solutions were still the best. They invented the original manual floor nailer (all the orig. patents to the racheting system were theirs) and recently, came out with an air powered floor nailer. I got my Porta-Nailer from Amazon.com and I could not be happier with how it works. It even does IPE type flooring with no issues. If your buying, buy the big red gun. You will not regret it.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Brad

I've had my Bostisch stapler for about 4 years and put down tens of thousands of feet of flooring with it, and I've had zero problems. I know lots of professionals who use the Bostitch and love them. You will have no complaints. And the cleats versus staples is a whole other discussion all together.

Steve

As I understand it, typically the nailer is used to put down "thicker" T&G flooring, such as in the 1/2" and thicker range, and a stapler is used to put down the 1/4"-1/2" thick T&G flooring, such as laminated veneer hardwood (engineered flooring, basically plywood).

If you're doing 3/4" hardwood, go with a nailer (rent one if you have to), and put it down with the cleats--depending on the brand of nailer, they're either T-shaped or L-shaped.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I've used both an air assisted staple nailer and the manual cleat nail type. The staples are cement coated and the cleat nails are barbed, I think the holding power of both is more than adequate. You don't really want to blow a board and have to remove it. There is on thing I would know I would want in either, is air assist.
    Roger

bostich

I've put down about 300 sq feet of 3/4" oak with the bostich pneumatic powered stapler. It's the industry standard. I hope you have the air powered one. They rent 'em at Home depot with the staples and the air compressor. This is definitely the way to go.

Take a look at this link. This was very helpful in, prepping the floor, setting up the first course and a bunch of other stuff that novices wouldn't know about.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...k1/stapled.htm

good luck with it,
    Ken

Another vote for the Bostich. I don't do crazy amounts of flooring (maybe 1500-2000 ft/year), but when I do, I do know that the stapler will get a floor down and keep it down. I oil it in the morning and after lunch. Never had a problem/callback. And what nice in-laws- that flooring stapler goes for $470.00 'round these parts.

thanx all for the responses........ the hardwood i'd put down before has been with a nailer so the stapler thing through me off. and yes it's quite nice to have such great inlaws!

we'll start tomorrow so the next week is gonna be a bit tiresome for me.....lol

thanx again for all the replies and the time u've taken!
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

[QUOTE=Brad Hammond] we'll start tomorrow so the next week is gonna be a bit tiresome for me.....lol

If I'm working by myself, I will usually rack (layout) a few bundles, nail 'em off, rack a few, nail a few, just to give my back a rest. Good luck.

I just finished putting down about 600 sq.ft. I too used a rented stapler from the big Orange box. The material was 3/4" Bruce. Liked the idea of the staples as they hold with twice the "nails".

Only thing is it took a long time as I refused to rack the material ahead of time. My wife took on the job of doing all the "racking" as she thought I wasn't capable