Thread: Am I going to screw up my contractor saw?

Am I going to screw up my contractor saw?

I need to move my Jet contractor table saw from the garage to my new basement shop. That will involve either disassembling it to a large degree or turning it on its side to get it through the back door.

Short of "don't drop it", are there any precautions I should take? Should I remove the motor? Will turning it on its side negatively affect the trunnions due to the weight of the motor?

Thanks!

I can not see it doing anything to the saw.

When you think about it, it came in a box and was bounced around all over the place just to get it to you.

As you said just don't drop it...

I would remove the motor to reduce weight and size while being moved - they are just very easy to pull off and put back on. I would try not to lift it by the wings either but beyond that, the rest seems like it wouldn't make a difference.

I was not thinking about your saw, if it is the type with the motor hanging out the back, then as Nathan said I would for sure take it off.

Blog Entries
    - Motor off
    - Handwheels off
    - Roll up cord and secure inside.
    - Possibly remove from base; usually four bolts and it would make it more maneuverable.

Do not lift or navigate using the fence rails ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You will not hurt it. The contractor saw was the precursor to the jobsite saw. Back in the olden days these saws were considered mobile. How times have changed.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

On top of everything else said, I would remove the fence and rails also to make it more manuverable. Put it back together in the basement and check all of the alignments. You should be good to go.

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at how the motor comes off and will definitely be taking the fence rails off just to be safe. Hoping to be able to leave it on its base, but time will tell.

I recently dragged my Jet contractor saw out of my shop, lifted it by the wings, used the fence rail as a lever, threw it onto a flatbed, and installed it in its new home no less gently. I did take the motor off. No issues, no loss of accuracy. I set the saw up very well when I bought it ten years ago, and have ridden it hard and put it away wet ever since, and it's still a wonderful saw. Best $524 I've ever spent. I don't try to treat my tools badly, but I don't baby them either. Contractor saws were built to take abuse.

That said, listen to Glenn.