Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser beam for miter saw. Good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    I am going to hold off until they come out with the wood cutting laser. Think of it, you will never need to buy a blade again!
    Scott
    Yeah, and then they'll give you a metal pointer to line it up with!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    If the laser system is built in to the tool, such as the PC/Delta versions or the Hitachi, I wouldn't avoid the machine, but I'd not touch an "add on" laser with a ten foot piece of balsa wood... For safely reasons, I want the laser to work when the blade is NOT turning under power. My preference is also for the beam to span the blade so you have accurate lines on both sides of the blade without switching something.
    Jim,
    I not only agree with your points, but I think the new look (Russian hat and shades combo) is truly stylish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    If the laser system is built in to the tool, such as the PC/Delta versions or the Hitachi, I wouldn't avoid the machine, but I'd not touch an "add on" laser with a ten foot piece of balsa wood... For safely reasons, I want the laser to work when the blade is NOT turning under power. My preference is also for the beam to span the blade so you have accurate lines on both sides of the blade without switching something.
    Well, I suspect you won't be buying the Delta/PC twin-laser anytime soon. I have the same complaints with mine as you do with your current saw. I'd much rather have a laserless saw than this one.

I wouldn't bother with a laser that only works with the blade spinning. Aside from the obvious safety issue, my main (if not only) use for the laser is getting long heavy pieces of wood positioned close to the cut line. Usually I'm using two hands to push and shove the wood against the fence, so having to reach up and turn on the saw to see the line would make it a waste. Once I get in position for starting the saw, I turn off the laser and make my fine adjustments using the blade edge.

The add on LaserKerf laser actually looks like a reasonable implementation for an aftermarket laser. The downside is external brackets and wiring as well as bettery power. The new DW saws have an optional laser, seems like a smart way to go.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Wow guys, THANKS for the input! Have to rethink about an add-on laser for my Hitachi. Consensus seems to be the built-ins are OK but the add-ons may not be what I want. I've done enough nibbling on the edges of wood to know how to do that so I guess it won't kill me to continue nibbling. The Hitachi is such a good performer I can't see getting rid of it just to get a laser. Unless...I go on ebay with it and see what I can get for it. Who knows...now there's a thought...a new Hitachi or ??? WITH laser. Thanks again to all for the input.

Don M

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Shelby
    Jim,
    I not only agree with your points, but I think the new look (Russian hat and shades combo) is truly stylish!
    Every time I see that avatar I think of theme music from '70s shows like Starsky and Hutch or Shaft ...

waka waka deer neer ..

Jay St. Peter