Thread: List Most Dangerous to Least Dangerous

List Most Dangerous to Least Dangerous

Can some experienced soul provide a list of tools/machines in order from what they feel is the most dangerous tool to the least dangerous tool? I'm a newbie in this world and a lurker but the recent accidents documented by other members have me thinking a lot about safety (and I arleady think a lot about it, so that's saying.......well, a lot). So I needed to speak up and just ask.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Em; 11-29-2005 at 12:06 PM.

Not trying to sound like a "wise guy"

#1 Any tool you do not know how to operate
    #2 Any dull tool you have to force to get it to cut
    #3 Any tool you have not matained and is not is tip top shape
    #4 YOU. You can work tired, under stress, in a hurry, had something to drink?

You can kill someone with a hammer quite easy..... it would be harder to do it with a table saw or shaper.

My son is happy turning on the Jet mini, he is not comfortable turning on the Oneway 2436. They both work the same, one is mine and that is the factor for him. So, for him, the Oneway is not as safe as the Jet Mini. Both are the same as far as my thinking.

I think a Radial Arm Saw is unsafe..... I don't use my dad's I just keep it because it was his.

I am sure you will be happy and safe with all the tools you will use.

Welcome!

The way I try to remember to look at it, is whichever tool I'm using at the time is the most dangerous. Any tool can hurt you, powered or not. So far the worst I've been hurt was when a cordless drill phillips bit popped out of the screw and into my finger, metal shavings and all. Keep your mind on what task you are performing. Don't let your mind wonder to the next task, or how you will finish the piece you are working on. In other words, keep focused. That's my thoughts for the day. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

OK, I can't resist compiling lists like this. So here is my list (which I have restricted to power tools).

(least dangerous)

Sander (non-belt)
    Scroll saw
    Drill press
    Drill
    Planer
    Jig saw
    Guided Router
    Guided Circular saw
    Hand-held Plunge Circular Saw
    Belt Sander
    Band Saw
    Hand-held Planer
    Hand-held Router
    Hand-held Circular Saw (non-plunge)
    Jointer
    Table Saw
    Table-mounted Router or Shaper
    Chain Saw
    Radial Arm Saw

(most dangerous)
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 11-30-2005 at 3:26 PM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    They are all dangerous.
    Don't be afraid of any of them.
    Respect them all.
    When I'm not ready to work I go for the couch and remote control.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 11-29-2005 at 1:47 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Based on a couple other threads, I can see this will get controversial.

First thing is, define "most dangerous". Most likely to kill or maim? Most likely to require a trip to the ER? Most likely to draw blood?

It also depends a lot on who you ask: what their personal experiences have been and what their "hot buttons" are. I expect at least one vote for "sandpaper" because of the dust.

(I give blood to pretty much every project, usually by bumping my head on something in the garage. But the only tool that ever required me to get stitches was an Exacto knife.)

There is not 1 tool or 1 gun that has hurt & killed anyone it is the person operating the item that has not prepared himself or herself & the piece of equipment or gun to be operated safely. Or the person is deliberately operating with the intent to harm or be harmed.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

8. 1 radial arm saw ( and a nearly useless tool besides)
    2 Table saw ( they scare me to the point I rarely use it)
    3 Jointer
    4 Shaper
    Of the other power tools none stand out as particularly dangerous, if even a little care is used.
    I've rarely been hurt by a power tool, with a kick back on a surface planer that resulted in a small chunk of wood lodged in my palm, and a nick from a scroll saw that's it, but chisels have drawn a lot of blood.

Rob Millard

I'm very comfortable with all the tools in my shop, I respect what they do and what they can do should I not keep my eye on the ball.

The one tool that I do have a fear of, and the only tool that i had a real bad experience with, is the radial arm saw.

My son who is now 15 has worked with me in the shop since he was 5. For the last 3 years he has been making his own products and selling them, you would be shocked at the volume of sales he does, anyhow here is the order of the tools, over the years, he has progressed to. The cabinetsaw is the only tool, even atthe age of 15, he does not use. It's interesting to me as he can do pretty much everything with the bandsaw that I do on the cabinetsaw, there are of course exceptions.

Sanders
    Drill Press
    Scroll Saw
    Lathe
    Jig saw (sabresaw)
    Bandsaw
    Mitersaw
    Planer
    Jointer

Andy

Least dangerous for me is the table mounted router, because I have to think thru the operations before I turn it on.

Most Dangerous for me. The Tablesaw, because I have been using one for 35 years, and tend not to think about what I need to do. I just do it.

Have respect for all tools, don't fear them but have respect for them, and what they can do.

Familiarity and complacency are my greatest risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    They are all dangerous.
    Don't be afraid of any of them.
    Respect them all.
    When I'm not read to work I go for the couch and remote control.

My thoughts exactly

Dangerous question

I am not putting your question down – in fact I think it is a very good question to spur some discussion. I teach Industrial Technology to Middle and High School students. There are tools that scare me more (watching students use) but in my 16 years of teaching the most dangerous tool (tool that has caused the most injuries) is the utility knife. Like others have stated any tool can be the most dangerous tool. Yes every time I hear the radial arm saw start my stomach jumps - for me the shaper is the tool I most fear. Dave

what tyler said

Quote Originally Posted by Andy London
    I'm very comfortable with all the tools in my shop, I respect what they do and what they can do should I not keep my eye on the ball.

The one tool that I do have a fear of, and the only tool that i had a real bad experience with, is the radial arm saw.

My son who is now 15 has worked with me in the shop since he was 5. For the last 3 years he has been making his own products and selling them, you would be shocked at the volume of sales he does, anyhow here is the order of the tools, over the years, he has progressed to. The cabinetsaw is the only tool, even atthe age of 15, he does not use. It's interesting to me as he can do pretty much everything with the bandsaw that I do on the cabinetsaw, there are of course exceptions.

Sanders
    Drill Press
    Scroll Saw
    Lathe
    Jig saw (sabresaw)
    Bandsaw
    Mitersaw
    Planer
    Jointer

Andy
    Andy, I would be interested to know more about what your son makes, and sells, pictures would be great!
    Scott

I think Franks list is pretty good. The only change I'd make is to move the Drill Press up to the same area as Bandsaw (maybe even to more dangerous than bandsaw). I guess ultimately the bandsaw could do more damage, but I've had way more "catches" on the drill press that have lead to bruises and abrasions than any other tool in my shop. I will say that is mostly because I have tended to view it as one of the least dangerous tools and not give it the respect it deserves.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter