Thread: Material gloat and small turnings ...

Material gloat and small turnings ...

I turned a couple of small boxes and a Christmas ornament this morning from maple and walnut I had on hand. I also turned a pen from some corian from Scott Greaves (Thanks Scott). When I finished the pen, I decided to drive to the other side of Richmond to a custom cabinet maker and check out the prospects. I explained to him what I wanted and he said to come on in. He showed me barrels of colored corian pieces and stacks of 18" x 18" material. He told me to help myself and if I wanted more, to "come on back." The first pen is the red one, and I'm going to drop it off to him on my way to work, just to say thanks again. I now have enough for thousands of pens! I shared with my neighbor turner, so we're stocked up. It's lots more fun when it's free!
    Thanks for looking, be safe and have fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Ron, Did you have any problems turning the corrian? Just looking at the stuff I would think it's brittle. Thanks for jarring my memmory, I had better get started on the Christmas presents. Maybe this time I won't be rushing. This year I would like to make some ornaments.

Jim
    Jim

Corian turns very smoothly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young
    Ron, Did you have any problems turning the corrian? Just looking at the stuff I would think it's brittle. Jim
    Thanks to Scott Greaves for sending me some to get started ... it takes some care when drilling your blanks, but cut them a little long to allow for some "blow out" and then trim them to size. As far as turning, with sharp tools, it cuts like fine wood. Be gentle when sanding and finishing, since it'll show any and all scratches on the surface. I'm looking forward to making all of the colors into pens. I also want to start turning knobs out of it to go on top of my turned boxes. I think that would be a nice touch. If I can assist with what little I know ... I'll be glad to help out!
    Thanks, Ron

Hey Ron!

Great job on the pens! Corian is a lot of fun to turn with. It is my Wife's favorite pen material! Way to go on the major haul of Corian! Colors, especially solid colors, are hard to find. You're going to have fun with that! BTW, you're welcome (for getting you hooked!).

I really like that ornament! I'm going to have to try that some day. I'm also going to have to try my hand at boxes with lids!

Here's a tip on Corian - learn to glue it up, then use the larger chunks for other turnings. Such as finials or lids for boxes, contrasting rings on bowls, or whatever else you can dream up! And for that question about how Corian turns? Well, I think it's a dream to turn! It's not really brittle at all, and still takes a really nice shine. A lot of the other plastics are quite brittle, and require a lot of care to turn. Corian is a great place to learn turning plastics because it is more forgiving.

Here's another tip on turning Corian - cut a small square of Corian, maybe 3/4" square. and drill a 1/4" hole in the center of it. Then the next time you're turning a slimline pen, put the square of Corian on the mandrel instead of the bushing in-between the two pen barrels. You can then turn the pen as fat in the middle as you like, and you just turn the Corian at the same time as a centerband!

Have fun!

Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    Here's a tip on Corian - learn to glue it up, then use the larger chunks for other turnings.
    The best joints in Corian are done with the proper adhesive/solvent, but sometimes it's hard to find locally. Joints made this way are no longer joints...the material is welded together. Art Specialties International sells the adhisive (and smaller pieces of Corian) to the hobbiest and craftsperson and is a handy link to keep available if you work with this material. It's generally easy to find scrap material, but the goop is a different story!

BTW, Ron...nice turnings once again!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    Hey Ron!

Here's another tip on turning Corian - cut a small square of Corian, maybe 3/4" square. and drill a 1/4" hole in the center of it. Then the next time you're turning a slimline pen, put the square of Corian on the mandrel instead of the bushing in-between the two pen barrels. You can then turn the pen as fat in the middle as you like, and you just turn the Corian at the same time as a centerband!

Have fun!

Scott.
    Great Idea Scott !!! -- -- I Wish I had thought of that. I have made a lot of Corian pens (250 for one customer last year). I will try your idea the next time I set up to make corian pens. Using a contrasting color would make a neat looking pen.

An additional tip: I use a paste metal polish which I got somewhere (senility keeps me from remembering where ) as the final polishing step. It is dark grey in color and the can is not labled other than 1200 grit. Maybe someone knows a source and will reply. The can I have is large enough that I will never run out so I haven't looked for a source. I apply with a soft cloth and squeeze while turning at 1200 rpm. I have also used this on acrylic pen blanks however a note of caution -- squeezing too hard on the acrylic will generate enough heat to melt the material DAMHIKT. It is not a problem with the Corian.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Thanks for all the great input ...

Scott, Jim and Ken all have some good experience in turning pens. I'm exteremely new at it and these tips really help me out! I want to try the center ring myself, as well as gluing up and turning thicker pieces. I'll ask the guy at the cabinet shop what he uses to make a seam. Thanks again guys.
    Thanks, Ron