Thread: 46-715 Delta Lathe question

46-715 Delta Lathe question

The other day I got tired of the tail stock not locking down tight enough so I tightened the nut on the bottom too tight and the iron part of the tail stock broke on the back side where the tightening handle is. I called Delta and they sent me a new one and I got them to send me a new eccentric shaft too because I thought something was wrong with the one I have since the tail stock won't get tight enough. I put the new one together and it does better but it still will move if I crank the center very hard. Is anyone else having trouble with this or am I just trying to put too much pressure on the center? I am using a Oneway live center on the tail stock and have strarted using the spur center on the head so it will have some bite. I typically use a safety center that has the center pin in it that springs in when pressure is applied. I can't remember the brand name.

Sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any insight you may have.

Jeff
    Jeff Smith
    Maker of firewood and toothpicks, and sometimes some bowls and vases.

I have the Delta midi, had it for a coupla years now, and it has always done the same thing. I find that when the TS starts moving, I have enough pressure on the work to hold it just fine, never had a spindle or bowl come loose because of it. It IS as bit disconcerting, tho, and I consider it cheap construction.
    Come to think of it, when a pro came in to our club to demonstrate one time, and we had set up a full size Delta for him, he complained about the same problem with the TS, didn't feel safe with it.
    There must be something inherently loose about the way Delta designs this part.

Jeff, I have used the 715 for two years now. Wish I had bought the Jet.

Given the reality that I have had to replace 2 broken handles, 2 broken banjos, both reeves drives and a bearing, I also had the same frustration with the tailstock. I first used a c-clamp to the right of the base to avoid creep. It worked, but was annoying. Then I put a 16" PVC pipe over the handle and had enough leverage to cranker down with little creep. Then from an on-line suggestion, I allowed my bed to develop a thin layer of rust. THAT + the leverage seems to work the best.

If I ever upgrade, it will NOT be a Delta.

I used to have that lathe and had the same problem. I finally took off the tail stock and roughed up the bottom with some 60 grit sandpaper. I also roughed up the washer under the ways. I stopped waxing the ways and cleaned them real good with thinner to get them down to bare metal. That stopped the creep. The mechanism is just too cheap to be able to really crank down on it. After having to replace the pulleys, then the bearings I
    finally bought a PM.

Earl

Thanks for the info and I agree the next lathe I buy will not be a Delta.

Earl, I will take your advise and rough it up and take the wax off.

I can't wait to upgrade!

Jeff
    Jeff Smith

Sounds like wax may have been the problem all along Jeff. As a thought, what if you filed some striations on to the surface of the bed and the base of the Tail Stock to maybe get some bite.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I thank you too, Earl, for the tip. I'll give it a try today.

John, good idea! I think I'll take the square plate under the ways that comes up underneath to clamp the tail stock down and file some striations on it too. Who'd have thought I'd have to let something rust so it would work. That's against everything I believe in.

Jeff
    Jeff Smith

Awhile ago , a year or so. Keith Outten fabricated a fix for the jet mini for tail stock creep. You might contact him and see if he can do the same for the delta. I have the delta midi and dont seem to have that problem ( yet)
    Just a thought.

Roger