Thread: Dummy needs computer help

Dummy needs computer help

My computer at home must be shrinking. At work when I look at the forum posts I can see the whole page. It used to be this way on my home computer. Now at home I only get partial pages which means I have to scroll left to right to get everything. Is there a setting I can adjust to fix this?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young
    My computer at home must be shrinking. At work when I look at the forum posts I can see the whole page. It used to be this way on my home computer. Now at home I only get partial pages which means I have to scroll left to right to get everything. Is there a setting I can adjust to fix this?
    Check the video settings on your machine at home. Assuming you're using Windows, right-click on the desktop anywhere there is not an icon displayed. Select "Properties", "Settings" and then adjust your Screen Resolution with the slider to a higher number. (Depending on your particular video card and monitor, you will have certain limits of what you can actually change to) When you choose a new resolution, click "Apply" and definitely choose to "try before you buy" so that if the selection you made is not possible on your machine, you still have a working display afterward. If you do not confirm (because you can't see a thing...) it will default back to your previous setting. If it looks fine, confirm the new setting and go on from there. In some cases, you will be required to reboot to finalize the change.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think the problem is on the Saw Mill Creek side, because it occasionally happens to me on bot my computers. Some messages require left/right scrolling, and others fit the screen. This only started after the recent software upgrade, so I'm assuming it's a bug at SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    I think the problem is on the Saw Mill Creek side, because it occasionally happens to me on bot my computers. Some messages require left/right scrolling, and others fit the screen. This only started after the recent software upgrade, so I'm assuming it's a bug at SMC.
    Feel free to PM me with the link to the thread this happens on--
    It used to happen to me when I viewed SMC with IE on the Mac.
    There are a lot of HTML tags and table rendering issues that all act
    differently depending on several variables (platform, browser make,
    browser version, etc).

The most common culprit is screen resolution- I use 1024x768-- most
    posts view fine at 800x600 (and the text is easier to read). Second is
    whether the browser is maximized or not-- smaller window means less
    horizontal space. Most browsers (not all) will wrap text to the next line,
    but some do not. There are a few HTML tags that are up to the browser whether to honor (like the table NOWRAP tag), which are other common culprits.

Further, when the text size is increased (again, up to the browser to
    render properly), text will tend to wrap to the next line. Some templates
    rely on the text size (using CSS) to ensure a consistent interface when
    rendering the HTML page-- the web developer usually has little control
    over many of these variables.

Again, feel free to email me the link so I can investigate.

Working to make everyone more comfortable,

_Aaron_

Changing my resolution did the trick. I need to find a way to kep my kids off MY computer.
    Jim