Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to identify some strange woods...

Trying to identify some strange woods...

Im headed to a lumbermill here in oklahoma on monday. Kind of a long drive but their prices are excellent. They have some very unusual names listed on the fax they sent me. Anyone recognize these? I google searched many of them but found nothing or little info.

basralocus
    boshahonie
    gele kabes
    hububalli
    izerheart (black)
    macacauba
    rode kabes
    satinwood
    sucupira
    wallaba

These could be different names for common imported wood, but im not sure.

wow - that is a list i've never heard of xceplt for satinwood - also called pau amarillo -a beautiful yellow wood that just shimmers when it is finished.

jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerry cousins
    wow - that is a list i've never heard of xceplt for satinwood - also called pau amarillo -a beautiful yellow wood that just shimmers when it is finished.

jerry
    Its really strange. I cant wait to get there on monday. The prices are even more amazing. Ill be sure to give a full trip report! This is a sawmill in the middle of oklahoma.

Robert,
    This is a web site for a wood supplier in Phoenix and they have a very goodlibrary of various woods listed on the web site here is a link. I believe that you will find most of what you are looking for at this site.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...ategory_Code=A

for instance

Product Descriptions:

<SMALL>(Platymiscium yuccatanum)</SMALL>
    Color: Rose red to rich purple brown with darker streaks.

The Tree: These trees are reported to reach heights of 80 feet with trunk diameters of 29-42". The buttressed trees develop straight and well-formed boles, that are often clear to 60 feet.

The Wood: Grain is straight to roey. Medium to fine texture with a medium to high luster.

Typical Uses: Fine furniture, musical instruments, cabinetmaking.

Source Region: Central America

Hey Robert. I wouldn't stand too close to some of those things...You might catch something. I don't think they have antibiotics to cure most of these.

Robert,

Can you share with us the information about. I get to Tulsa from DFW once in a while and might want to check it out.
    Mike

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - <CITE>Albert Einstein</CITE>

Here is a link to the website:

http://johnsonsawmill.com/pages/814720/index.htm

They are located about an hour and a half east of Tulsa. Yahoo maps wont find it. I had to call them. Ill be sure to report my finds!

I've actually got a few boards of Macacauba that I picked up cheap off eBay. It's some really nice looking stuff. Haven't built anything with it yet, but took a handplane to it when I got it just to see how it worked. It's actually pretty nice to work with. It's also known by the name Trebol and a few others that I forget. The only other one I've heard of is Satinwood.

Sounds like you may have found yourself a new Happy Place. Enjoy the trip.
    Use the fence Luke

??^$*&!^@)&_$(&

I don't think I have ever seen board feet prices so low even on rough lumber much less planed and straight!!

How do they do that! I wish they were not so "geographically undesirable"!

d
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Robert,

Nice to meet a fellow Oklahoman! I'm a long-time lurker here but thought I'd come out if the woodwork (hehe) to say hello. I live in Edmond.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but tell me more about this place! Sounds interesting.

Richard

I was just at Woodworker's Source today and saw at least four of those odd named ones. They really do have an amazing selection of wood there. I'll tell you though, the prices on that website are at least half of what the bf price is here for most of those exotic species. I was looking at the hububalli in particular because it seemed to have quite a range of color and grain within the stack of boards. It looked like getting matching pieces would be some work. But, as with most of the wood there, it was good looking stuff and really fun just to look at and imagine finished projects with them.
    Last edited by Brett Baldwin; 12-04-2005 at 3:02 AM.

Wow. I just liiked at that price list, and will shortly bemoving to Oklahoma. How do they sell cherry for far less than in the cherry center of the US? The lacewood is 1/2 wha we pay for it. But, the poplar is about the same. Maaybe they are harvesting the lacewood locally?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I have worked with some of these and have a few of themin the shop. Some are very low demand woods and are very cheap to inport, such as sucupira and rhodes kabes. The gele is very nive to work with, Sucupira is desperate hard to do anything with, izerheart in my experience has too much movement for what I do, satin wood is excellent, wallaba is good for even outside projects. The rest I have not come across.

basralocus
    boshahonie
    gele kabes
    hububalli
    izerheart (black)
    macacauba
    rode kabes
    satinwood
    sucupira
    wallaba

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Neel
    Robert,

Nice to meet a fellow Oklahoman! I'm a long-time lurker here but thought I'd come out if the woodwork (hehe) to say hello. I live in Edmond.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but tell me more about this place! Sounds interesting.

Richard
    I am pretty new to woodworking, but I have a decently equipped shop. There is a woodworking club here in the tulsa area but Im not really sure how many people are in it or how organized it is. Plus its $25 a year for membership. I would like to hook up with some people in the area. It would be nice to chat and get help from local woodworkers.