Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern Maker's Woodworking Vise or Traditional Front Vice

Pattern Maker's Woodworking Vise or Traditional Front Vice

I'm in the process of obtaining the materials I will need to create this workbench:

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...hes/168042.jpg?

I do common woodworking tasks, and some home DIY, but no carving. Thoughts?

David

Patternmaking vises

Dave, That is one mean looking bench and would be a great addition to any shop. As far as vises go, and the one in the picture looks like a Kindt-Collins, you can't go wrong. The Emmerts, which I have 3, are the standard in patternmaking vises and they made them as far back as 1890. Oliver and Kindt-Collins both made nearly identical vises that are just as good as the Emmerts. You can taper the jaws, spins the jaws around like a merry go round and then loosen the arm and tilt the vise up and use it like a press. Plus the jaws will open about 16" or so. Mine also have the angled piece the fits in the jaws. There is no more versital vice then a patternmakers vise. My bench is 66" x 108", 3" thick soft maple top with 6"x8" douglas fir legs. I made my top in 5 pieces so I could take it apart and run each section through my planer and make it new again. The legs were left over when I built my timber frame addition on my house. I used Accuride guides for 20 years and switched to CSH early this year. Their guides are every bit as good as Accuride if not better and they are a whole lot less money. I hope you post a picture or two of your bench.

Jeff Singleton
    "Take your time, you'll get more done"

david, i opted for the patternmakers vices on my bench due to their versatility. 02, tod

I considered that same vise but went with a standard bench vise, mostly because of the $$$, however that one is still on my list for when i build a "real" bench.

One thing i never asked is.... Does the patternmakers vise require a lot of clearance under the bench top for when you swing it up 90 deg? I assume the screw has to rotate down?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

david,brian,jeff, here are some pics of what i`ve done to mount them on a 3 1/2" bench top. the top had to be mortised and the locking bars cut and welded to clear. hope this helps? tod MVC-904S.JPG

MVC-905S.JPG

MVC-906S.JPG
    Last edited by tod evans; 12-03-2005 at 2:05 PM.

Tod---Dude, that's some serious visage! I could maybe fit a couple of those workbenches into my shop, if I got rid of all my tools. Whats the acreage on the bench top?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

dan, 36"x 112", these are not "real" patternmakers vices only the taiwan clones but i`m hard on stuff and would hate to damage a real one. tod

tod, where can I find bench feet like those you have? are the castiron?

David, how about one of each for your bench? Get the one now that you wouldn't buy/add later and make it easy on yourself later when you add the second. Not much help maybe but that is the way I would approach it.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

steve, the legs came from burlington northerns engine rebuilding facility in springfield mo. that was shut down in the `50`s. yes they`re cast and about 150# each i doubt you`ll find a set unless you`re a lucky junker. tod

Tod---What would be the ideal benchtop thickness for easiest fit of the clone?

Dan

-Woody Allen-

dan, we`re relying on my addled memory here but i think it`s 1 5/8" i recall bob s. put one on fairly reciently he may have a better memory than i. if a fellow needs to retrofit it`s pretty straight forward so don`t shy away because of bench thickness. tod

Thanks Tod, thinking seriously of going in that direction for my next bench.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Tod,

Wow. That's a great bench! I can be hard on certain things too. When I was a kid I broke my dad's cast iron vice in two. I was beating something into submission in the vice when the vice gave up 1st. (sorry dad )

I leaning heavy twords the patten makers vice. They are only $200. I'm still planning on the Veritas twin screw for the tail vice.

I'd like to hear other's comments on their tradional front vice too.

David

I have an Emmert No. 2 on my basement bench, which is where I have built all of my furniture to date. Unlike the other mountings shown here, I recessed for the hub, and the jaws are thus 1/8" in front of the bench front, not out about 3". I prefer this mount, and my space was limited. You have to cut a bit of wood to get there, however. My top is 12/4 hard maple, at 26 1/2" w by 72, with a traditional tail vise.

What I miss most about a standard WW vise is the quick action, with my hip, leaving two hands to hold something being clamped. But, on balance, I still would not trade.

In the new teaching studio, there are three "back" benches, each at 32 x 96, and 38" tall, and each has a No. 1 Emmert. They will be handy that way, with traditional WW vises on all other 11 benches (10 still under construction).

Nice bench you are building there. bE sure to leave enough room between the bottom of the top, and the drawers, for holdfasts, clamping, etc.

Somewhere way back I think I posted a pix of both benches, the second one of which was a commission of sorts with Ron Kanter (a former student). Both have traditional tail vises, and QA WW vises. The new one is 26 1/2 by 87".

As to the Emmert clone, I have not seen one so can't comment, but the old N0. 1's are about 90 lbs or so and very solid.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

David,
    The Pattern Makers vise is flexible and versitile...no question. The one drawback is for edge planning boards the board should be on edge and against the edge of the bench. I have a hold fast near the other end . I think you should get both and mount the patternmakers vise on the back if you don't have a trough. I am thinking of getting one myself ...I just don't know where to put it
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"