Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itty Bitty Contest Trophy

Itty Bitty Contest Trophy

Ok ok...I know it looks like an hourglass....but really, it's a trophy!!! This is the Itty Bitty Contest Trophy to be awarded to the winner of the contest this week. It is 5.5" in diameter and stands about 8.5" tall. It is made of Bloodwood with Polished Brass Hardware and a 30 minute hourglass. This was finished in Lacquer (hic*) after sealing with BLO/Shellac. I'm having a brass plate engraved for the occasion.

I made this one special for the contest and hope that the recipient be kind enough to not point out the flaws publicly!!

Thanks for looking! Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (75.4 KB, 75 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (54.2 KB, 42 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (69.3 KB, 48 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (62.2 KB, 28 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (55.4 KB, 48 views)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Ok ok...I know it looks like an hourglass....but really, it's a trophy!!! This is the Itty Bitty Contest Trophy to be awarded to the winner of the contest this week. It is 5.5" in diameter and stands about 8.5" tall. It is made of Bloodwood with Polished Brass Hardware and a 30 minute hourglass. This was finished in Lacquer (hic*) after sealing with BLO/Shellac. I'm having a brass plate engraved for the occasion.

I made this one special for the contest and hope that the recipient be kind enough to not point out the flaws publicly!!

Thanks for looking! Good Luck!
    Of course you are so stoned from lacquer fumes you didn't even see the crack in the glass.

John, you never fail to amaze me, my friend!!! That truly rocks!!! Gee, now I do wish I were good enough to be in contention for that beauty. Great job, John! That is terrific!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I've been following this thread with great interest even tho I don't have one of them spinny thingys.

I am amazed at what I've seen so far. Kudos to you all. I would definately need some type of extreme magnification to see what I was doing and not turn my finger tips into some type of miniature whatever.

John, that trophy looks to be very nice indeed. I was wondering if you had doubled it's size would it then be a 60 minute hour glass.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

John,
    That is beautiful!!!! I can't wait fo this major event...the media should be notified
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    I've been following this thread with great interest even tho I don't have one of them spinny thingys.

I am amazed at what I've seen so far. Kudos to you all. I would definately need some type of extreme magnification to see what I was doing and not turn my finger tips into some type of miniature whatever.

John, that trophy looks to be very nice indeed. I was wondering if you had doubled it's size would it then be a 60 minute hour glass.

Karl
    Karl - Boot up your drill press to its fastest speed, sharpen some screwdrivers and heave to.

John - Very cool, and generous. True motivation for all. Thanks
    Only the Blue Roads

Nice Job John!
    That will be an awesome prize!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

That's beautiful John, but you've gone and done it now. LOML has been wanting one of those and now that she's seen this one, well......
    Okay, so I've seen the entries and I need to know one thing... where do you buy the glass for the hour glass?

Ernie

Nice work John. I like bloodwood, I have some pen blanks made up, just wondering how it turns.

Jeremaih
    My brain hurts!

John....

You are a very talented fella even under the influence of who knows what

That is a nice job and some miniture individual is going to be very happy with that trophy for sure.

I gotta run now..... going to look for some blocks to jack my truck up on and remove the wheel so I can start trying to turn an entry

Entry Part 2

So, I figure what good is champagne without a suitable container to drink it out of? The champagne glass fits nicely inside the bottle. Maple, friction finish. Oh, and the smallest tool used on either piece was just an 1/8" parting tool. Roughed out with spindle gouges. Thanks for taking a peek. The rest of you real turners can carry on now!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Good lookin' Entry John M.

John Hart, your work is MAgnificiant! I know that whoever wins it will cherish it.

Bruce

This is a goblet for the Emperor of Lilliput. As you can see it is small. You should have seen the lathe & tools it took to turn something this small.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

WOW John that is some Trophy!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed making it and the contest is great fun for me.

Ernie - You can pick up Hourglasses at Rockler or Woodcraft. I think Rockler might be less expensive but Woodcraft has a better selection. They carry several different sizes with several different choices of sand color. Be careful with them though....If the assembly is too tight, the glass will break easily....Too loose and the glass will wobble and break if it is jarred.

Jeremiah - The Bloodwood is a pleasure to turn. It has an ingrain a bit like mahogany but it is very hard and turns and finishes like Cocobolo. The smell is pleasant as well. Watch your drilling! This stuff loves to clog the flutes of your bit and will shatter the blank easily....Clear it often.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson