Thread: Finishes that can resist gun powder?

Finishes that can resist gun powder?

Me and my dad this summer both got some blackpowder rifles. For measuring out the powder loads i was think of turning him a set for christmass, but i was wondering whut type of finish to use. I think the gel poly should be fine, but not too sure.

Thanks guys.

Jeremiah
    My brain hurts!

powder resistance

I would think that salad bowl finish, or CA glue - -several coats- - would resist the black powder since it is only in the spoon for a few seconds.
    Philip

Spar urethane

I would recommend the same urethane varnish that is used for marine applications - a spar urethane. Easy to apply, EXCELLENT finish, and resistant to just about anything. I've only used it on one weapon - a black powder .50 that my SIL has. We used it because I was refinishing my boat. He's been using the weapon quite a bit for over two years, and, with travel and firing - it still shows a great finish (even around the ramrod support and such.

I would go with a finish that will stay really hard. I think this leave out most pure oil and wax finishes. I don't think the black powder will hurt any finish particularly as long as it stays dry. What you don't want is a build up that will absorb moisture.

On the other hand, the burned powder will take off a lot of finishes. I think that CA glue would probably be the best. The only problems I have with guns and black powder is next to the lock where the burned powder produces acids that take off the finish.

I highly recommend Lin Speed gun stock finish. Just the best of the best, for gun stocks. easy to apply, and easy for tuchups.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    I highly recommend Lin Speed gun stock finish. Just the best of the best, for gun stocks. easy to apply, and easy for tuchups.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>
    Where do you find that Bill? I have to make Pistol Grips for a half a dozen antique pistols and I've been looking for the right thing. The guns will never be fired but I'd like to do it right.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Where do you find that Bill? I have to make Pistol Grips for a half a dozen antique pistols and I've been looking for the right thing. The guns will never be fired but I'd like to do it right.
    Hay John, Lin Speed was recommended to me when I first started carving relief pictures and doing in-lay work in gun stocks, when I was about 18. It's been some time now, and still have a jar, which was purchased at True Value several years ago. You may also try a good sporting shop, gun store. They may have some guidance.
    The co. is, GEO. Brothers, Barrington, Mass. 01230.

Often thought about trying this product on a turning, but just never gave it a shot. I think I will get on it. Great product though.

Thats the best I can do.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After re-reading Jeremiah's post, and now understanding it , I would think the Jell-Poly would work just fine for the intended use. As Rick has noted, a urethane varnish would give some added protection. Rather a costly product if you don't have any on hand.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>