Thread: Australian Lacewood Finishing?

Australian Lacewood Finishing?

Help!!!
    Applied BLO over a week ago to bring out the grain. Kept wet for 10 minutes and wiped off. Have been wiping it off 2 or 3 times a day since. Over a week later, still getting some residue deposit on wiping cloth.
    Question, If I wipe thoroughly with acetone, will an application of Zinzer Seal Coat stop the BLO from continuing to "bleed" so I can finish this thing?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Ernie, what you are probably experiencing is the BLO weeping out of the much softer "eye" areas of the Lacewood. I have finished Lacewood with Watco Danish Oil a few times, and it does take a longer time to cure due to the nature of the wood. Those "eye" areas are like little sponges. I am not sure Acetone would remove enough of the soaked in BLO to make much difference, but it would probably help the curing process. I would wipe it down, and see how it looks in a day or so, and if it appears to have cured, then use the seal coat. Other than that, you could wait for it to cure on it's own, but that could take a while. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Joe,
    Thanks so much. I would probably use something different next time. Will give the acetone a try, keep my fingers crossed and let you know in a day or two.
    Thanks again,
    Ernie

You're welcome Ernie, glad to help. I have worked a lot of Lacewood for decorative boxes and such, and it is wonderful. It gets an "antique" look after a while, and it looks wonderful when used with Cherry, especially as the Cherry darkens. I look forward to seeing the project you are working on too!

Ernie,
    I have used a bit of lacewood as table tops, and generally put on a wash coat of dewaxed shellac, followed by waterlox, which looks a lot like blo, but does in fact dry. Give it a try.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan,
    Thank you. Sounds like a much better plan for the next time.

Joe,
    Its a box, about 7" sq and 8" high out of qrtr swn sycamore. The top is a sq of birdseye maple with a turned portion and an ebony finial. I'll post a couple of pics when I finish it, probably next week. I'll exlain the circumstances when I post the pics.
    Ernie