Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creekers & Sam Maloof

Creekers & Sam Maloof

I just got back from spending the day with a few creekers and Sam Maloof in his shop. The man is remarkable to say the least. In attendance were Mark and Ryan Singer, Lee DeRaud, John Scarpa, Andrew Ault and Yours truly. I'll post some picture and I am sure that when they get time the rest of the Crekkers who were there will add to it. The day was well worth the expense. Sam took us through building a chair as well as a small table. the day included lunch with Sam and his wife and tours of both the old house and the new house. Sam has the most remarkable stash of raw material that I have ever seen. I would estimate that he has well over a million board feet of wood stored in several building. His stash include some large slabs. He had a solid piece of 8/4 Walnut that was easily 24 ft by 8 feet that he is making a table out of for a client. there was a piece of 4/4 Bubinga that was easily 12 feet long by 5 feet wide.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:20 PM.

More pictures for your enjoyment

last two pictures. Mark Singer has a group picture with several creekers. Lee DeRaud left before we could get the group picture.

Excellent pictures Don. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Must have been a great day. Did it humble you or provide inspuration?

Richard

Wow, looks like it was a great time. Of course, I'm sure you all noticed that Sam "has his methods" when working with the bandsaws and routers!! I also see he puts his Adjust-A-Bench to good use! The stairs remind me of those in the Warton Esherick house.

Looks like a grand time was had by all.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Must have been a great day. Did it humble you or provide inspuration?

Richard
    Both.
    Richard you would have realy liked the spiral staircase. The railing is made out of bent laminations.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Lee DeRaud left before we could get the group picture.
    Sorry about that!

When Mark posts his pictures, I'll be in the background of the shots of Sam doing "bandsaw magic". Just look for the stunningly handsome dude in the Santana tshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Wow, looks like it was a great time. Of course, I'm sure you all noticed that Sam "has his methods" when working with the bandsaws and routers!!
    He kept reminding us not to do what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I also see he puts his Adjust-A-Bench to good use! The stairs remind me of those in the Warton Esherick house.
    He said he realy likes the bench.

Looks like a very cool way to spend a Saturday. So how does one of these little get-togethers happen anyway? If I just show up at Sam's door hoping to be let in for a look-see, will that work? Or is that considered stalking in CA ?
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    Looks like a very cool way to spend a Saturday. So how does one of these little get-togethers happen anyway? If I just show up at Sam's door hoping to be let in for a look-see, will that work? Or is that considered stalking in CA ?
    This was a class given through UC Riverside Extension, but they also have tours of the house/museum every Thursday and Saturday.

A couple pictures off my camera...
    The master at work:Sam1.jpg
    Sam and the Singers:Sam & the Singers.jpg
    John Scarpa and Don Baer:Don & John.jpg
    (I don't seem to have any pictures of Andrew...I think he was sitting directly behind me the whole time.)
    A couple pictures of the famous spiral stairs:Stair1.jpgStair2.jpg

Don,
    Great shots! We had a great and memorable day! Sam is in great shape!!!!
    What is amazing to me is he is so into his woodworking, he didn't know what brand of bandsaw blades he was using.... He had a MiniMax FS 41 ...I asked how do you like the Jointer/ planer....he said ..I don't know what brand it is ....but it is very good.....no measurements , he does everything by eye...I will post my photos tomorrow...I have a party to run to...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

It was fun and I learned a good deal.

The creek guys were great and I enjoyed everyone's company.

Sam Maloof was incredibly generous with his time and even allowed us to tour his house. The most incredible part was watching him work. I expected greatness, was I could not expect the facility and ease that he showed in quickly tranforming walnut into sculpture...with tight joints. He was constaning asking us to ask any question that he would like to. I cannot believe that he is ninety years old. He is quick, strong and present with joy in his eyes.

His tools are both common and extraordinary. He uses a yellow pencil to mark pieces and as a guage to check widths. The pencil line is used to deliniate design elements that are then quickly transformed into form. His huge bandsaw is his main instrument. He gacefully cuts sweeping arcs in the wood...arc after arc, each building on the last, efficiently revealing his intended shape. A piece is test fitted, marked with his pencil and then adjusted at the bandsaw. This was repeated two or three times and the joint was done, to be banged into place with a clawfoot hammer or a deadblow mallet (depending on what was handy, it would seem).

Sam Maloof is disarming, friendly, generous and at ease. He does exactly what he likes to do and apparently that is the fountain of youth and a source for a font of art and craftsmanship. When (woodworker) Jimmy Carter names Sam Maloof the finest woodworker alive, he is not exagerating, just relating his what he knows.

Thank-you everyone for a wonderful day.

- Andy