Thread: Itty Bitty Contest Stock is In! NEED ADVICE

Itty Bitty Contest Stock is In! NEED ADVICE

Okay, so I figured that if I really wanted to not only enter this contest, but leave you guys and gals far back in the dust, then I'd better lay in some new turning stock. So I applied the Jim Ketron approach - Have chainsaw and did travel.

Hickory Pear Cedar.jpg

You're looking at mostly spalted hickory, some cedar of unknown variety, and one piece of pear. Free wood courtesy of Creeker Mike Cutler down in Conecticut. Most is about 14" to 16" in diameter with some pieces upwards of 20 or 22".

Yup. I'll be busy for a spell.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-04-2005 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Duh - Like the new title says
    Only the Blue Roads

Holy Smokes Andy!!! Mike is a fine human being...that's for sure!!! Perhaps 70 or 80 thousand contest entries in that haul. Congratulations!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Holy Smokes Andy!!! Mike is a fine human being...that's for sure!!! Perhaps 70 or 80 thousand contest entries in that haul. Congratulations!!
    Yes, he sure is. Here's a link to the day's event that Lou Sansone posted.

I suppose I could overnight six or seven thousand pieces to Spring Green. He'll likely need that many, and then some. But I gotta keep the rest for my own entry
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-03-2005 at 11:42 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Looks like you done well Andy!
    Nice haul!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

VERY nice Haul!

Bruce

Nice gloat there Andy. Looks like Tripod sniffed out the one working like a dog.

Ernie

Hey Andy, with all that wood to prcatice on, I am expecting you to submit an entry that can dance on the head of a pin!

Great haul Andy, that should get you through the contest at least.. .. If not the winter
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Andy....

Whoa.... now I see why y'all recommended needing a chain saw

Never could figure that on out until NOW

Nice haul!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Yes, he sure is. Here's a link to the day's event that Lou Sansone posted.

I suppose I could overnight six or seven thousand pieces to Spring Green. He'll likely need that many, and then some. But I gotta keep the rest for my own entry
    Hey Andy...I'm still looking for those six or 7K blanks for the contest!!!! (You're right...It would take me that many to get anything decent!!! ) Nice haul, dude! Now, let's see some product off of those!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks for the comments my friends. Believe it or not I do have a serious question tonight.

Whoa, "serious - Andy?" - is he running a fever?

Here's the deal. The hickory was cut three years ago and left in 8' lengths in the round and lying on the ground under a pile of leaves. Mike Cutler did this intentionally after reading instructions on how to initiate spalting. He essentially did the same to the cedar, but it was cut 14 months ago. No spalting in the cedar, but the hickory looks terrific and has lots of stuff going on in it. When I cut them up yesterday I left each piece a few inches longer than the width, in case I ran into crummy or punky wood - although I didn't see any.

It's kinda dry, but not totally. No I do not have a moisture meter (but it's on the list). Today I stacked it up outside behind the barn and threw some of Rockler's Sealer on it. It is off the ground now and here are some pics.

Log 1.jpgLog 2.jpgLog 3.jpg

Hickory is the middle and the cedar is on the the right.

So here's my dilemma. I took these photos at 3PM this afternoon. Right now there's about 2" of snow on 'em with more expected overnight. And we're into that part of the year when temps range from zero to 40 but mostly in the 30's. Come January it'll get down to well below zero. That's my kind of weather, but I wonder how this stuff will react. I'm interested in your thoughts as to how protect the stuff from further deterioration given the above noted circumstances.

Should I tarp 'em?
    Should I get into an immediate roughing marathon or can I whittle away it?
    Should I bring it all inside now until they get roughed? I keep the shop at 55 degrees 24-7.

I'm hoping that some of you fellow northern types have some experience that will help.

Thanks, Andy
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-04-2005 at 7:26 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Well...I've given this some thought Andy (since I really have the same dilemma) Moisture in the wood is going to freeze and that concerns me. I really don't think there is any way to combat that, and the result is going to be some loss due to splits. Mother Nature is going to win that battle. However...for the rest of it, I'm just keeping it as dry as I can. I have some outside under a tarp and the rest in the garage (non-heated) and hoping for the best. We've been under some cold weather for a couple of weeks now and everything is frozen. So far so good.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson