Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Contributions

2006 Contributions

2006 Contributions
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o><!--[endif]-->
    As many recall, we had a little fund drive back a bit. I got involved because I was upset with myself for sitting on my hindquarters too long until there was an emergency. Those of you who read my posts back then may recall that I said I would be reminding folks when it came time to think about yearly operating costs. That time is approaching.
    Our yearly operating costs will be in the neighborhood of $1,300 to $1,400. We had just over 250 Creekers respond to the emergency fundraiser. If we set our goal at $1,500 for the year, and we have 250 Creekers contribute, we would have to contribute $6 each. This should easily cover the yearly operating costs. Because of the great response we had with the emergency fundraiser, there is no need to contribute extra. We have plenty in the coffers for special projects and emergencies. Also, I can guarantee there will be more than 250 respond, so we will probably add a bit to the special funds account. By the way, $6 is 50 cents a month.
    I think this is important so that we never get in the situation we had when it looked like the site may close. We can insure the future of this site with a very small contribution if we all take part. I’ve PM’d Keith and we have a little different attitude towards a fundraiser. I (the fun loving guy who is looking for a way to combat cabin fever) would like a little “event.” Keith (who is much too hard working – notice he hasn’t gone out on the town yet [how’s that for a nudge John M.]) thinks we ought to just let it trickle in. He says we’re getting 2 – 5 contributions a week now. Well, it’s my thread and the last PM from Keith said do what I think is best. He doesn’t know what he’s in for.
    Keith and I both agreed we shouldn’t be doing a fundraiser during Christmas. Then we all have to regroup after Christmas and New Year’s. So, here’s the plan. On February 1<sup>st</sup>, at 1 second after midnight of January 31<sup>st</sup>, I’m going to contribute my $6. Then I’m going to start a thread saying I did (2006 Contributions, NOW!!!). The goal will be to get 250 contributions of $6 in the shortest amount of time and to be one of the first 250 contributors. (The first 250 will get the prize of bragging rights, or maybe we can get Andy to turn 250 Ittsy Bittsy trophies with all that wood he just got) When you contribute, whether it be with the donate button, PayPal, snail-mail, or any other way, post that you did. That way, all we have to do is look at the number of posts, and we’ll know approximately how much money was contributed. I say approximately because many of you can’t help yourself and will contribute more. Then, when the goal is reached, we can all sit back and toast ourselves with our favourite brew (or carrot juice in my case, eh Frank). What a way to combat cabin fever!! (Not that you in the southern climes know what I’m talking about) Of course, if you want to contribute earlier, or later, or not at all, that’s fine.
    I’ll put out a couple of reminders till then.
    This is a great site, and ya’ll are great. Let’s make sure the site has a steady, stable source for funding so there are no more emergencies.
    Thanks, John
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[endif]--><o></o>
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

$6 is less than the admission to a WW show. Even with a coupon.

I'm in.. I look in on the site several times a day. This may be cheapest yet most valuable thing I do all year. The best $6.00 I've ever spent.

Thanks for your efforts John!!!!!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

You'll have to keep reminding us, John--my alarm clock doesn't go that far ahead! BTW, what time zone are you basing this on? Zulu? EST? I just want to know, so I can "prepare".
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Great idea John! If Andy starts now, he can whip out 2 or 3 trophies a day until February and meet the deadline! I'd like mine with extra spalting please.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I'm ready...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I'll be ready John.....we need to synchronize clocks.....ie I'm in the Pacific Time Zone..

$6.00 small price to pay for information gathered here!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Can do! I had set up my online banking account to automatically send a donation every Jan.1, but I will change to Feb.1; and the banking personnel assured me this happens electronically at approx. 12:00.1 AM
    What a great way to wish SMC and all its members a Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 12-06-2005 at 8:40 AM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Good idea John. I will be ready for the toast on the 1st of February (with some "real" beer).

Picking a time zone is difficult because we have folks all over the world. I'm not too concerned with our European members because they won't have to stay up late. However, if we go with EST the members out west in CA would have to stay up until 3:00 A.M. to get their post in. I wouldn't even hazard a guess what time it would be in Hawaii or Alaska. What do ya'll think. Any preferences, or maybe somebody has some whacked-out idea to pick a time and make it more interesting.

By the way, we'll count the posts that come in after the appointed time, not the actual time the money gets delivered. So, if you had plans to contribute early, don't worry about changing it, just get ready with your finger on the post botton. The contest is for the time of the post, not the time you put the money in. It would be too difficult to keep track of that.
    John Bailey

um....John.....EST would make the West Coasties stay up till 9:00pm
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John,

What can you expect from a guy who goes to bed a 8:00 P.M. and drinks carrot juice. Of course you're right.

John
    John Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Great idea John! If Andy starts now, he can whip out 2 or 3 trophies a day until February and meet the deadline! I'd like mine with extra spalting please.
    Tell ya what John. I'll make one - a big one - for the first place winner, and I'll send it to Lee DeRaud (hope that's okay with you Lee) for appropriate laser engraving with requisite data.

As for the other 249? I suggest YOU get cranking! Those Itty Bitty things are not my goblet/vahhssee/hollow form/vessel of tea.
    Only the Blue Roads

Sorry Andy,

I'm am considered by many to be a bit crazy, and I admit I've given plenty of reasons to believe that. But, I'm certainly not in the the league of "crazy" you turner's are in.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 12-06-2005 at 2:08 PM.
    John Bailey

zulu time is the same for everyone...

Zulu time is same for everyone.. just different for many of us how to figure what it is.. For us in Denver it is plus 7 hours this time of year.

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop