Thread: DJ20 Setup Question

DJ20 Setup Question

Hello,

I finally got my DJ20 delivered yesterday. I am a little confused about something though. I understand that the top of the knives at their highest point must be parallel with the outfeed table. For whatever reason my outfeed table is slightly lower. Now, I understand how to raise it but this is where my problem is. Before I even raise the outfeed table, when I try and put the fence in it's 90 degree position, it hits the outfeed table and bottoms out. When I put a square on the table to check for fence squareness, it's slightly out. Should the fence be hitting the outfeed table or should there be a slight gap between the bottom of the fence and the outfeed table? I would assume there should be. If so, how do I adjust the fence so it is raised up a bit more?

I hope I did'nt confuse anyone with my description of my problem.

Loosen your fence up and then set your outfeed table. Then realign your fence.

Chris,
    The fence rides on the outfeed table. As travis said, adjust the table then readjust the fence.

The part that the fence rides on should be level with the out feed table. If it is not then it will need to be corrected. Also, check the motor mount. I have seen three of these that were installed backwards. They are almost, but not quiet reversible and if installed wrong the pulley on the motor has to sit too far out on the shaft and will start to shake on the shaft. the wheel of the pulley should be next to the motor and up very close to it.

CPeter

thanks

Thanks for the help. I got it set last night. The bottom of the fence rides along the outfeed table. I was'nt sure if they should touch, but when set up, it does.

Concerning the pulley, 1) my belt has a huge knot in it and 2) the motor came with the pulley already attached in addition to a pulley in the package with the jointer bed. Did anyone else have this as well? I hope the motor is'nt used.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chriss:
    You were right in the first place, there should be a slight gap between the fence and the outfieed table. There is on my DJ20. It would not be logical for the fence to ride on the outfeed table, and you can't keep moving the outfieed table to adjust, you would need to keep adjusting the blades to be even with outfieed table as they should be.
    Perhaps things aren't set right to begin with, if you chech you owners manual, it calls for the outfeed table to be .015 in. above the cutterhead, this is the first thing you check (adjust) when setting blades. Once this is set, you then set blades to be ( at there highest point in rotation) even with the outfeed and parallel to said outfeed table.
    HTH
    Roger