Thread: The Better End of the Deal!: Spalted Hackberry

The Better End of the Deal!: Spalted Hackberry

I was on the computer when my wife said, "You've got another box of wood here!"

For some unknown reason, David Starks asked if I was interested in trading some wood for a piece of beech. Not being one to turn down an offer of wood from "somewhere else" I gladly agreed! Of the choices offered, hackberry sounded the most interesting since I have seen some beautiful spalted pieces posted here. When David said he had some that had already started to discolor.......
    2012-01-20_14-18-59_156.jpg
    Only this edge has the black zone lines at present. Since I am a little "roughed out" (and want to work on finishing some things)I wrapped this in another garbage bag and put it back in the box. Carried it back into the house and headed for the empty bedroom right over the woodstove. A good place for it to cook a bit more! Not surprizingly my wife asked, "Where are you going with that?" I told her that it would spalt better where it was warmer. She then asked me, "Well what about those tubs outside?" What should I do? It sure won't be telling her about the ants and beetles that were in the rotten pieces I stuck in there too.
    Thanks David for a great piece of wood. Not sure if I will core it or try some some endgrain HF's. Either way its going to be fun!
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 01-20-2012 at 6:20 PM.

beautiful wood Baxter, after it drys it is like concrete but cuts cleanly

Youre surely welcome! Keller advised me to send a square or I could have sent it w/ more spalt than what you got, it would have just been shaped different.

Glad to hear it got there ok, its the first time ive sent wood in the mail.

Make sure to post some pics of whatever.

Do you really think your better half doesn't know you by now? :-) She knows!!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by David Starks View Post
    Youre surely welcome! Keller advised me to send a square or I could have sent it w/ more spalt than what you got, it would have just been shaped different....
    Oh sure, blame it on Keller! I hear that Keller guy's a jerk anyway...

I've got 4 big Hackberry logs placed in the weeds I put there about a year ago so they should be ready by spring. Looks like you have a nice piece.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Oh sure, blame it on Keller! I hear that Keller guy's a jerk anyway...
    Well.....I didn't want to mention it but.......I figured the "real reason" a tree trimmer would be wanting more wood, was because that Keller guy had been cleaning him out in exchange for turning advice. I won't even mention the probablity that he got the short end of the stick on that deal.

I love Hackberry but you'll want to use in right away or it cracks quickly.Enjoy.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!