Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What brand is the best mini lathe?

Thanks to all you guy's welcoming me to the forum and for all your helpful information.

I really like hearing several of you guy's really like the Jet Mini lathe and have not had problems with them. I was really sold on the Jet mini lathe before I called this person who is a pro wood turner who recommended the Vicmarc. He did not say anything bad about the Jet mini lathe except he felt the bearings were better on other lathes. I'm not going to be turning wood for 8 hours a day for five days a week with the lathe I buy. I'm going to be making smaller projects on weekends with the lathe I buy, so based on price and what I'm going to do with it the Jet mini lathe still sounds like my best option.

Thanks again

Mike

mini lathes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Glaze
    What brand is the best mini lathe?

I have started my research into the best mini lathe. I asked someone who I respect on the phone about the Jet Mini Lathe and that person recommended the Vicmarc mini lathe over the Jet mainly due to he had the opinion it had better bearings and it would last. I also read a review of the PSI Carba-Tec II that was reviewed as the best mini lathe, but that was on the Penn State Industries web site and I assume PSI stands for Penn State Industries.

So what do you guy's think is the best mini lathe made for wood working?

Thanks for any information

Mike
    Mike
    I have three Jet mini lathes. I have made over 2000 pens on my lathe and the only problem was a loose bolt that took 2 minutes to fix. My wife lathe has made over 1000 pens and is still rulling good. I bought a variable speed one recently and think I would recommend it over the cheaper belt unit as it is so easy to change speed. Also I have a Jet repair shop within 50 miles.
    Tuffy holland

Welcome to the Creek Mike. I have to agree with Ken as I have tried a couple and still love my Jet Mini the best.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Mini-Lathe

My two cents -- Being new to the "Creek" and turning in general, and after way too long a search for the "Perfect Mini Lathe" which by the way doesn't exist. My criteria was for bowl turning only and I had a space issue. Based on price and components I chose the Steel City Variable -- seems to be almost like the Jet but less expensive. I LOVE IT! I have it mounted on a cheap grinder stand and I get NO vibration from bowls to 6 inches (the largest I 've tried so far). Needless to say, I've sure most of the name brands mini's are good, this one just works for me and works WELL!

I have a Steel City mini also that works wonderfully and is very quiet and smooth running! For the almost $200 price difference it was easy for me to make the decision. Now Steel City has a new one out that has the solid granite ways, I would like to see one of those. A little more money but still cheaper than the Jet. Jet is a fine machine but, Oneway is super, so it all comes down to money. I have an old junker cheapo chinese made lathe that had had 5 years of hard turning on it and the bearings are still the same and not a squeak out of them. It is just like buying a car or truck, what is in a name, most of them all have the same capabilities and will last as long as you want them to with proper maintenance.

So if money is no object by the Rolls Royce, if you are pinching pennies the Steel city VS is hard to beat!

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I cannot give you any experience based specifics but I was in exactly the same place as you about 2 months ago.

I was strongly considering the Carba-tec from PSI. I kept reading and asking other turners (mostly on this forum) and finally decided on the Jet 1220VS. I kept upgrading to the larger sized benchtop over the quite small Carba-tec. The Jet mini or Rikon 70-100 almost made my cut, but I decided for the relatively small (that is a loaded term in turning I have found out) additional investment the 1220 would be a better choice for the long term.

I have the general international maxi 25-200. It's more expensive than the other 12" lathes but it is variable speed, it has a turning headstock and the outboard lets you turn up to 17". The earlier models had some kinks with the motor but now it seems to turn just fine. I'd consider that one if it's in the price range.

If not that one, you can't go wrong with a jet. I have turned on a small Jet and a small Delta, I liked the Jet more. Can't say anything else about other small lathes.

alex

Jet Mini versus ?

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I was in your shape a couple of months ago. Trying to read up on every mini lathe out there. I purchased a used Jet mini lathe. I'm turning small objects on the weekends. Works great... I would highly recommend the Jet mini to anyone. The variable speed would definately be nice, but it is really easy to change the belts on the Jet. Looking forward to seeing your future turnings once you make a decision.
    Billy

+1 vote for the Jet mini. I *LOVE* mine, with the extension and a good stand it's way more machine than I imagined. I opted to save the money on the VS and buy tools instead, very glad I did. The mini is only 1/2 hp, and adding VS robs power, especially at lower speeds. I can stall my jet with a 1/2" bowl gouge on a 9.5" bowl, but I've been impressed again and again at the amount of power it has. My next lathe will be VS with a real VFD for full power, I plan to avoid small DC motor VS lathes for the time being.
    If you're not in a hurry, watch craiglist for used. 2 months after I bought my mini ($250 lathe, $170 stand, $70 extension = $490) after the price had gone up there was a near-new mini w/ extension on a stand w/ some tools & accessories for $400.

Mike,

Depending on what type of turning you do, speed can be very important. When turning larger bowls or platters, the ability to slow the lathe down makes your life so much safer and easier.

Of the mini lathes, I've turned on regular Jet mini(1014) and the mini VS(1014VS). I really would prefer the 1220 (the slightly larger mini lathe Jet has) if it was my only lathe. The reason for this is due to the swing of 12". Most turning stock is within the 12" diameter, you can find larger, but its more difficult to acquire depending on what part of the country you're in. Most turners selling bowls and platters seem to also limit themselves to under 14". From some of the postings, the under 14" sizes seem to sell better on a arts & craft level.

Jet mini lathes really are workhorses. The WoodCraft store and community college in my area both have Jet mini lathes. They really take a beating and keep on ticking. Should one break down, there is a ready supply of parts and the spindle size (8TPIx1") is a common size so face plates, chucks, and other items are easy to acquire.

Below is a link to lathe specifications for a number of different lathes, both mini and others. It may help you make a decision.

http://www.woodturner.org/resources/LatheSpecs.pdf

If you haven't checked out a local turning club in your area, check out the AAW: http://www.woodturner.org/community/...alChapters.asp

They can be a great resource in addition to the Creek.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

If you are concerned about bearings being a little better in one lathe over the other. That may be true but I have a 1980"s craftsman I don't think has bearings ,only bushings, and it still works for the limited hobbies use it has received.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Anyone else notice the date on the original post.

Steve

13. Best mini-lathe

I really cannot say which is the "best", all I can tell you is that I have been turning fairly constantly for the last 36 years on a large Delta. During the last 20 years I have made hundreds of pens, small bowls, bottle stoppers, etc, on the CarbaTec mini-lathe. The variable speed is great for me...if it just doesn't "feel right", I dial the speed up or down and keep going.

Good luck on which ever you choose.

Ron

Blog Entries
    I too have to jump on the Jet mini with VS. I started turning on that lathe. It's where I fell into the vortex. Thought to myself "This will be a good, cheap hobby." ROTFLMAO. By no means it this a cheap hobby.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

This has to be a record for the oldest post revived. The OP is from 2005. 7 years old.... Hope he got a lathe by now.......