Thread: Another newbie turning question

Another newbie turning question

Yeah Yeah I know get a book right -who has time to read!

In between massive amounts of yard work I'm turning my 2nd bowl.
    Problem:
    It is starting to develope a big crack from the rim down towards the base. I's about an inch long now. This is wood from a maple tree that has been down for a few years & there is a lot of checking & cracks -but it sure is pretty wood.

I got too thin at the rim & I have lousy tools that's what made the crack start. Anyway I stopped & soaked the bowl with tung oil - it's all I had. I figured that might help condition the wood a little & help some.

I was thinking about getting some wood hardener (minwax?) or some type of glue to either brush on or soak the wood in - would that help? Which one? The wood is not punky - though I have some other that I'd like to try to make some out of that is - so don't know if the wood hardner would do much? Also do either of these make it harder to turn?
    I still have to finish roughing the bottom of the inside & then take some finish cuts on the inside & outside. I'm really liking this bowl & would like to try & save it as is.

Thanks again - back out in the 100 degrees to do yard work!
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Hey Tom, finish the bowl and see what happens if the cracks not to bad then repair it. You can use super glue to fill it or wood glue and clamp it tight. Just remember you WILL lose some of your first turnings.

Tom,

I know this one!!! well maybe not, but I am pretty sure if it is not a bad crack you want to use CA glue...which I believe is just a fancy term for super glue as Anthony already told you. You should get a pic and post it so some of the guys can give you better advice.

Noah

Thanks guys

I did the CA glue - before I finish turning it. seems to have worked fine. I had to take away a lot more of the natural edge than I wanted, while sanding & cleaning up around the cracks. - but I think it will still look pretty cool.

Unfortunately I'm at a stand still now cause my bowl gouge is too dull to cut & my old grinder pooped out on me.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney

Unfortunately I'm at a stand still now cause my bowl gouge is too dull to cut & my old grinder pooped out on me.

Tom,

If you have a belt sander, use that to sharpen. Works well. Want to see a pic when finished.

Joe

Cracks happen...sometimes a simple fix of CA or epoxy will do the trick. Sometimes, something "more creative" is in order. There is one fellow in our local AAW chapter (Bucks Woodturners) who makes a lot of turnings with dogwood--a species prone to cracking. Many of these objects have cracks that have been sewn up with heavy thread or leather strips, turning a "defect" into a "feature". What's not to like about that??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks again guys

Joe - I did use the belt sander for my straight chisels - but I just basically ruined the whole edge of my gouge when I tried it. & I really need that to clean up the inside - I tried to use a straight chisel but made a mess of it & I'll have to make the bowl pretty thin to clean it up - so I might lose it anyway Like everyone says you're gonna lose some at first - I just really liked how this one was turning out - not so much now that I had to remove some of the "natural edge" though.

Jim - I've seen stuff like that & it's kind of interesting. I'm still at the stage where if a bowl gets too messed up I'll just throw it away - so far the wood is free I'll post a pic - unless of course It doesn't make it - Now get back out in that heat & fill that dumpster Seriously be careful.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Tom,

Life's too short to be turning crappy wood. Throw it away, and get you another free piece. Try greenwood, it turns much easier,
    wcturner
    in Hopkinsville, Ky.

"Knowledge Is Power"

"Git R Done"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Cracks happen...sometimes a simple fix of CA or epoxy will do the trick. Sometimes, something "more creative" is in order. There is one fellow in our local AAW chapter (Bucks Woodturners) who makes a lot of turnings with dogwood--a species prone to cracking. Many of these objects have cracks that have been sewn up with heavy thread or leather strips, turning a "defect" into a "feature". What's not to like about that??
    What about the holes in the bottoms of his turnings, if we're talking about the same person

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Yakonick
    What about the holes in the bottoms of his turnings, if we're talking about the same person
    We are talking about the same artist...and fortunatly, he does not enforce his patent on the air-conditioned vessel bottoms...or we would all be poorer turners.

W.C. It's not the wood that's crappy . . .

It's the tools & the turners skills

Quote Originally Posted by W.C. Turner
    Tom,

Life's too short to be turning crappy wood. Throw it away, and get you another free piece. Try greenwood, it turns much easier,
    Actually the wood is quite nice - Lots of "character" different colors, grains & figure.
    I'll try some green wood - but first I need to learn how to sharpen my tools - I think I'm missing the tool sharpening gene

Do you turn the wood right off the tree - or let it dry a little bit first?
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP