Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood screw advice needed

Wood screw advice needed

In wanting to stock a small fastner inventory in my shop, I need a little advice or survey if you will.

I would like to know the most common wood screw sizes and lengths you keep on hand in your shop that would cover most applications. I am assuming Mcfeely's is the best place to order them and the square drive type is the most desireable.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

I buy bulk from McFeely's and like 'em. I stock #8's from 3/4" thru 2" in 1/4" increments, and #6s from 1/2" to 1-3/4". I usually order two boxes of 100 each size, 4 on the #8's from 1" thru 2". I also try to keep some 2-1/2 and 3" #8's, but not as many.

I find I use the #8's from 1-1/4" to 2" the most.

You'll probably get a lot of differing opinions on this one, it really depends on what your doing. Some projects can use a lot of screws!
    Tony

I prefer the square drives but can't get them too often locally, seems they're always missing whatever size it is I'm looking for. I use mostly 1"-2.5" drywall screws, buy em by the 5 lb box. I have up through 4" but don't use much of the larger sizes. I get them locally as I tend to wait till I'm out of one and don't want to wait for an order. I do like McFeely's though and have used them for some of the odd stuff, brass, SS, and such.
    I also use up through about 2" in flat heads, some 6's, but mostly 8's and 10's. an odd assortment of #12's in the larger lenghts but since drywall screws came out I don't use them much.
    What I do keep a pile of is the screwdriver bits, all sorts and sizes.

Thanks Tony and Bob, that will give me some ideas to get started.

I consistently have problems with the #8 1-1/4 screws from McFeely. 1" are okay, as are the 1-1/2", and all other sizes I've used...but the 1-1/4 consistently 'spin' on me, and it's happened over about three shipments in the past several years. I pretty much just plan to not need a 1-1/4 screw...and when I do, I use DeckMate screws (HomeDepot/Lowes) that come with the Phillips/square drive combo head.

KC

A good way to start is the starter assortment McFeely's sells. I bought one of the "Do It Yourself Dozens" which comes with 100 each of a variety of sizes. Then I watched what I was using and ordered more and also what I wished I had but didn't and ordered those. Off the top of my head, I believe I added some 1" countersunk screws and some 1-1/4" pan head screws so that I wasn't using my Kreg screws when I needed that size.

I also have a variety of sizes of drywall & deck screws for utility purposes, mostly leftovers from various projects. I use the 2-1/2" the most.

After reading your replies a little deeper, I am getting the impression that drywall screws are fairly acceptable for woodworking projects in most cases. Is this true and I may not really need the McFeely screws afterall. I use drywall screws for everything around the house and have an abundance of them in my shop, but I was kind of under the impression that you needed something different for woodworking.

Hey.... I've been wrong before

I buy my screws from McFeeley's all the time. No problems here.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Bob,

My understanding is that the only disadvantages to using drywall screws are:
    • Appearance
    • Low shear load rating: They hold things together, but don't use them in load-bearing applications. They're just designed to hold drywall.
    Andy

I keep flatheads in 6 and 8's from in 1, 1.25, 1.5, 2 and 2.5". I also keep 10 and 12's in 2, 2.5, and 3". Plus 2 and 3 inch deckscrews, 2, 2.5 and 3" drywall screws.

I buy in boxes of 100 at out local True Value. The price is good and they're locally owned.

I also keep 1/4x3" and 3/8x2" lag screws on hand.

My <6 screws, pan heads, etc mostly come from things I take apart before throwing away. When I throw something out, every nut, bolt, washer and screw I can can find has been removed.

I always buy two boxes of everything as I prefer to go to the store when i want to not when I need to.

My wife says I'm turning the garage into a hardware store.
    James

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Square vs. drywall

I went to a talk Lon Scheinling gave at one of the wood shows. He made the good point that if you are doing woodworking for the pleasure in it, then you should buy tools and supplies that will please you everytime you use them. McFeeley's square drive screws are that way with me. I have never stripped one. I use them a lot on one time jigs or assemblies that I will take apart after the project, and then reuse the screws over and over.
    I will confess that when money is tight and I'm only going to use the screw once and it won't show, I'll go with the Borg drywall screws, and they hold up just fine.
    I bought the McFeeley's starter kit, too, then replenished as I used things up. I use mostly 6's and 8's from 5/8 to 1 1/2. A few longer #10s for big items.
    I don't know how useful our experience with sizes will be for you, it all depends on the thickness of what you are connecting. My rule of thumb is the screw needs to wind up flush with the first piece and go halfway through the second piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox
    Bob,

My understanding is that the only disadvantages to using drywall screws are:
    • Appearance
    • Low shear load rating: They hold things together, but don't use them in load-bearing applications. They're just designed to hold drywall.
    Andy
    Yes, they are very brittle and have no structural rating.

I've been thinking, and while screws obviously have many uses in home improvement projects, I seldom use them in woodworking. When would they be used? About the only time is to hold hardware in place. I that case I usually use brass slot-head screws for their ornamental appearance. I first use a steel screw to cut the threads in the wood, since the brass is so soft it often shears off when cutting threads.

I've broken off a lot of drywall screws, but have only ever broken 1 McFeely's screw. Just the other night, as a matter of fact.

A lot of good points made here and good food for thought. I really appreciate everyone's input. This helps me proceed more than y'all know. Going to take a good hard look at stocking up on a few McFeel's screws and the combo starter set looks like a good way to do it as I already have a shop full of drywall screws on hand.

Thanks again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    After reading your replies a little deeper, I am getting the impression that drywall screws are fairly acceptable for woodworking projects in most cases. Is this true and I may not really need the McFeely screws afterall. I use drywall screws for everything around the house and have an abundance of them in my shop, but I was kind of under the impression that you needed something different for woodworking.

Hey.... I've been wrong before
    I use deck screws where I would drywall. The more agressive threads don`t strip out the wood as easily.