Thread: Time eventually kills the memory

Time eventually kills the memory

and new generations face old problems again. Hardly a word today about the December 7th of a few decades ago. I was sitting at the lunch table listening to the radio which had only become common in the past twenty years The announcer broke in with the startling news that the Japanese had begun bombing and strafing Pearl Harbor launching the United States into a world wide war in which over fifty-five million souls were to die. Our little engagement in Iraq which fills the news today pales into insignifigance by comparison. This is in no way intended to downplay the importance or the tragedy that accompanies our present conflict. It is intended to bring to attention the fact that the world is a dangerous place and freedom only belongs to those who will defend it. I am truly afraid for my children and grandchildren because I hear so many today who do not appreciate or even realize how fragile our freedom is. I can only pray that something will happen to bring back that spirit of earlier generations which made this country the greatest on earth.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
    ......The announcer broke in with the startling news that the Japanese had begun bombing and strafing Pearl Harbor launching the United States into a world wide war in which over fifty-five million souls were to die........It is intended to bring to attention the fact that the world is a dangerous place and freedom only belongs to those who will defend it.........
    On the other hand, I wonder how many Iraqis were sitting around the table when their radio announced that the United States was "ATTACKING" their county??

Seems to me that it is a bit of a stretch to suggest that Iraq represents a threat to the freedom of the United States??
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 12-09-2005 at 3:34 AM.

Let it go guys!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am right there with ya buddy....too many aren't these days. I can only hope you see the future and that it'll happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
    and new generations face old problems again. Hardly a word today about the December 7th of a few decades ago. I was sitting at the lunch table listening to the radio which had only become common in the past twenty years The announcer broke in with the startling news that the Japanese had begun bombing and strafing Pearl Harbor launching the United States into a world wide war in which over fifty-five million souls were to die. Our little engagement in Iraq which fills the news today pales into insignifigance by comparison. This is in no way intended to downplay the importance or the tragedy that accompanies our present conflict. It is intended to bring to attention the fact that the world is a dangerous place and freedom only belongs to those who will defend it. I am truly afraid for my children and grandchildren because I hear so many today who do not appreciate or even realize how fragile our freedom is. I can only pray that something will happen to bring back that spirit of earlier generations which made this country the greatest on earth.

AMEN, AMEN !!!

Don-
    Thanks for reminding us!!!

Randy-
    Tell the relatives, friends and loved ones of all those who have died in terrorist attacks your feelings.

Back to woodworking.

Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

OT - Take this to the OT Forum

No offence but this is not the forum for this discussion.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Drop it! Let it go! No politics please!
    Ken

Don,
    Thanks for the reminder about the sacrifices of those that have come before me. May God bless and keep our troops. Right or wrong our troop deserve our praise and prayers.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I don't want you to misunderstand my stance here.

My father served in the Navy during WWII. I served in the Navy for 8 years during the Vietnam era. My oldest son served 9 years in the Army and fought during Desert Storm. My youngest son served 5 years active duty in the Navy as an officer and is still in the inactive Naval Reserves. He's planning on going back to active duty following graduation from dental school. My oldest grandson has just enlisted in the Navy and is supposed to enter after he graduates from high school next spring. My grandson will be the 4th consecutive generation that voluntarily entered the armed forces.

On Keith Outten's Pearl Harbor thread I paid tribute to those who served during WWII. "We can only imagine what the world would have been like without your courageous service in the Armed Forces".

It's the political statements I don't want to see here. Politics is too subjective and personal. According to the TOS......no political statements. I don't want any hard feelings between SMCer's because of politics.

Pay tribute to those who died and those who served.

Please keep the politics out of the threads.
    Ken

Sorry, if I offended some. My deepest apologies to those who found it offensive. I certainly didn't intend to make a political statement. In fact I still don't see how it is political. It is reality. I spent four of my early years in that war and saw the devistation that occurs in such a conflict and I guess it affects the way I think.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Don....I hope you didn't think I intended my response to you.....
    Ken

Don.
    When I was stationed in Hawaii. I lived on Ford Island, in the middle of Pearll Harbor.
    For almost a year my barracks window looked out over the Arizona Memorial. Everyday we would pass thru Battleship Row between Ford Island and Merry Point on the boats.
    Everyday I saw tourists of every nationality visit the Arizona Memorial. In my year there it had to number in the 10's of thousands it seems.
    I've seen the cemetaries at Arlington, and Punchbowl. You don't forget these things my friend, you never forget. You just hope that someday there will be no more new ones.
    Mahalo, for reminding us of what is important.