Thread: Dictionary Stand

Dictionary Stand

LOML has an old leather-bound dictionary that currently just sits flat on a chest in her spare room...she wanted a way to display it. Strictly design-on-the-fly, using some red oak I had laying around. (The lip at the bottom is jarrah, partly as an accent, mostly because it was already the right size.)
    Book Stand 1.jpg

Book Stand 2.jpg
    In retrospect, this is one of those projects that really wants to be finished before assembly: my hands are just too big to do a good job of rubbing out all those odd corners, so it came out a bit shinier than I wanted. So it goes...it will spend most of its life hidden by about six pounds of paper.

pretty cool lee. did ya make your own dowels?

Your design that looks great. I would love to be able to come up with ideas like that on the fly. Nice job.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    pretty cool lee. did ya make your own dowels?
    No, that's a story in itself: I saw a wine rack about ten years ago that I wanted to build, then decided it was too big for where I wanted to put it. Buying 80' of 3/4" oak dowel was as far as I got in that process. Dunno if I'll ever find a use for all of it, but at least it doesn't take up much room.

That IS cool.......I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas to make one for my daughter - the teacher. That would be great on her classroom desk!

Very neat, Lee! Like Martin said, I wish I could come up with designs like that just on the fly! Very unique. Good job.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Looks great Lee. I am like the others I wish I could come up with ideas and run with them. Have to give them some thought.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

An on the fly design?? Takes me years to make up my mind what color to stain it. Neat idea put to good use!

Jim

Great idea Lee! I think it looks great!

Corey

Hey, that's great! I am making a dictionary stand for my kids, was working on it today, I like your ideas here and will have to keep them in mind. Cool.

Very slick idea, Lee. I like the way the through-dowels look from the top. (Although, as you said, all your nice work will be covered by a big ol' book.)

- Vaughn