Thread: treadle lathe construction question

treadle lathe construction question

Hello,
    I am in the process of designing a treadle lathe and have a question for everyone. I am planning on using a 1/2" shaft to drive the thing (See crappy MS paint drawing attached). My question: do I have to have the end of the shaft threaded, or tapered, or whatever to accept a spur? I am just looking for a simple way to attach the work. Would the end of the shaft be ok if I simply had it ground to a point? I'm not planning on doing production work, mainly just turning tool handles, a few spindles, and maybe an ornament or two.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave S
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dave,

I guess for the short end of what you are looking to do, I would recommend a ground point on the end of the shaft, drill several alternating holes of various sizes in the run of the taper. that will accept spit pins of the sizes of the drilled holes. Cut a diagonal grove in your work pc for the pin, and you should be good to go. About the cheapest way that I know of.

I have brought up my old post before, but you may wish to take a look, if you have an interest in treadle lathes. Just click on the link provided, and again on the link in the post.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21503

Please do let us know how you make out, a photo or two of the finished product are always a must.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow!

Bill,
    thanks for the advice and most definately thanks for thread link. That is a beautiful lathe!

I am sitting here with my chin on my chest.

...wow

DS

Glad it was of some help Dave.

I would consider, if it is not too late, using a 5/8" shaft and then you can use Shopsmith centers and other components. They are held on the arbor by a set screw, so it requires no threading and you have a lot of options on centers and faceplates and whatnot that are commercially available.

This is what I did on my treadle lathe and it worked quite well. I tore down my lathe when i got my antique Craftsman, so I still have the spur center that I would sell for about half of what Shopmith sells it for if you go that route.

-Jamey

well fooey Jamey,
    I liked that treadle lathe you built. I saw it on the traditional tools site. (you know me there as TMC )I'd be interested in buying that center. The lathe I am working on now is my prototype anyways.
    drop me a line and we'll do some business

DS