Thread: Removing tape measure from Table Saw

Removing tape measure from Table Saw

Boy am I a dummy! I buggered up the tape on my new Biesemeyer clone table saw fence. The tape is there but I ran the fence over it improperly adjusted so the numbers have been partially worn off.

Bought a tape replacement. Wondering if there is any trick to removing the old tape. I suspect scraping it off will be a real mess.

TIA for any suggestions.

Don Frambach

2. Removing Tape (Long)

I'm not sure about your rail, but I have a General saw with a Biesemeyer clone and it appears to be glued on with adhesive film. I've had really good luck using 3M Adhesive Remover on lots of stuff. I've used it on new automotive paint due to a recommendation from the body shop, gotten tar off of upholstering, etc.

Just try a bit of it on the underside first with a white paper towel and see if it attacks the paint. I'd try a hair dryer first to see if you can get the tape of first, leaving just the adhesive film. Don't hurry with the heat gun.

I completely removed all of the door molding, emblems and decals from a brand new black Chevy truck that way and didn't harm a thing.

Good luck.
    Steven

Just pull it off and clean up any glue residue with a little denatured alcohol. Just that simple.
    ___
    Rick

You might try a hair dryer to soften the tape adhesive. It should pull right off.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Steven J Corpstein
    Don't hurry with the heat gun.

Could that cause the finish on the rail to soften or blister, if you moved too slowly?
    Every deed plants a seed.

Couldn't you just stick the new one on top of the old one? There should be enough room.

If not, peel a corner up with a chisel, squirt some alcohol under it and peel.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

When I replaced the original tape on my X-Acta fence, the old one peeled off quite easily once I got a little bit raised. You might try working a little alcohol or "goo-gone" under the edge if it's stubborn.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Naptha is usually good for removing tape residue.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Use a heat gun to soften the adhesive as Bruce suggested. Peel off the tape. Then use some lacquer thinner with a piece of red scotch brite to remove the remainder of the adhesive. Put the heat gun away and DO NOT try to use it around the thinner (think fire safety). The finish on the fence and rail should be a baked on powder coat or urethane and the thinner should not affect the finish. Try an inconspicuous place first. Bill

Just pull it up....all of them will come off without incident once you get a corner up. No need to heat it at all. Neither of my two saws has a tape since I prefer to measure it myself anyway. I use Goo Gone as well...works like a charm.

I've had mine off and back on a few times.....

They pull up easily. Surprisingly enough, mine is more like a thin metal than paper or cloth. I was surprised the first time I pulled it up.

Joe

12. If you are going to replace it anyway, apply some heat. It will make the adhesive release much easier. Wipe off any left over adhesive off with laquer thinner. Works well. Sorry, I think I repeated myself. Or you could just cover it (the old tape) and just use a tape measure or a yard stick each time you set up your fence. Later, Bill

Alcohol will work better on the glue than lacquer thinner.

CPeter

Another vote for goo-gone. Great stuff!

Corey