Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisel storage

Chisel storage

Where do you folks keep your chisels? I need some ideas for storing these vital tools that won't clutter my benchs but still be easy to get to. What about those magnetic bars? Do the chisels get a magnetic "charge" from them and is it a concern? Perhaps a dedicated divided box of sorts?

Pics would be cool!

Thanks!!
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

And i thought i had a lot of clamps..... 50+ chisels?!?!?

Thanks Tod! I've got half of one drawer of an old Craftsman tool chest for my meager collection but they bang around too much for my comfort. Have you thought about making dividers for your drawers?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

naw, i try not to shake up the tool box i keep my beaters in the bench, just tossed in a drawer for easy access. i`ve found that mechanics boxes make great storage for bits and cutters as well as chisels and mechanicin` tools. only an idea and what works for me.... tod

Me thinks this is a hidden gloat So many chisels so little time.

isn`t a gloat when you get new stuff?

Naw, since i've not seen your shop in a tour all your stuff is a gloat to me I could only wish for such a display of chisels. Course it would take me all year to sharpen em up

Jim

Tod, just noticed your in the "ozarks". Would that be the Mo. or Ar. ozarks. I sometimes get down to Bull Shoals/Springfield area.
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 12-10-2005 at 10:45 AM.

jim, i`ve posted a few shop pics, if there is anything special you`re interested in ask and i`ll post pictures. it`s the typing that takes me so long, i type one fingered tod

Tods been copying my every move...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

What's this Stainless Steel week? My poor old "painted" crftsmn can't hold a candle to all this shiney stuff. But again how do you keep em all sharpened. I know, Elfs!

mark, busted, jim, the stainless is pretty affordable at sams club. as long as you sharpen before you put them away it`s really no big deal. i use a wheel made from 3/4 baltic with leather glued on both sides charged with jewelers rouge. only a matter of seconds unless you nick the edge. tod
    Last edited by tod evans; 12-10-2005 at 10:59 AM.

Brian,

In answer to one of your questions, yes, chisels will pick up a magnetic charge from those magnetic bars. This really becomes a hassle at sharpening time.

Brent

Brent, i was afraid of that. I once used my calipers to measure the thickness of a rare earth magnet and they've been picking up metal chips ever since.

Thanks!
    Brian

Brian,

No great chisels yet (Christmas is around the corner though ), but this is how I store the ones I have. May give you some ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I keep mine in a tool roll. When I start work that requires chisels, I take the tool roll out of the drawer and unroll it on my work space. Same thing for my carving tools (several rolls). The thing I like about this technique, both for the chisels and for the carving tools is that the tools are in order, so I can put my hand on what I need very quickly - no fumbling around looking for a certain size chisel or gouge. When the tools are in the drawer, they aren't knocking around against each other. And if I need to take my tools somewhere, it's very easy to grab the roll, put it in my portable tool box and go.

I have an extremely small work shop and a lot of the wall space is taken up with clamps. On the positive side, it does force me to put tools away and keep things fairly clean.

Mike