Thread: Shaker Style Bench

Shaker Style Bench

I had a long post all made up, but lost it while trying to get the photos to work...so here is the short version.

Shaker Style Bench, after one in The Book of Shaker Furniture, by John Kassey. Photos taken after I tested Tried and True on the top, but before I finished the entire bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 07-06-2003 at 1:58 AM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Shaker Style Bench

Same bench, another view:
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Shaker Style Bench

My wife wanted a shelf, so since she approves my major expenditures, she gets a shelf, although not historically correct.

The wood is cherry, and the construction is drywall screws with plugs...I know, I know, I should have done through tennons, but maybe next time. I have been a woodworker off and on since high school, mostly off, due to job restrictions. I have read a lot, and watch Norm, and know a lot of theory, but I am just a beginner when it comes to application of my knowledge. I am a student of the Shaker style, and hope to get good enough to build furniture my grandkids will fight over.

I am not happy with the "chunky" appearance. It has to fit in a short hallway, so it is not as long as the original. I think it might look better with 3-4 inches more length on each end of the top.

I'll try to post another pic when I get done with the third coat of Tried and True...could be a couple months though. I need to buy a digital camera!
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 07-06-2003 at 9:50 AM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Looking Good

Looks Good to me, Martin. What is it they say "Form follows function"? I never really understood that arguement, but I feel it is cool t6o say it. Carl
    18th century nut --- Carl

Very nice job, Martin! I've never seen the rounded version of this bench and it's quite attractive. Don't worry about the shelf as practicality is a hallmark of the Shaker style. And since none of us are Shakers (that I know of), using the spirit of their work in your own is perfectly acceptable in my book.

I've been a fan of T&T for a long time...not because it does anything different than generic BLO, but because it doesn't have the metallic dryers in it...which makes me more comfortable using it indoors in the winter without jeopardizing our birds. I prefer the plain T&T oil or the oil and wax mixture. I'm less enthusiastic about the varnish oil, although I really haven't given it much of a chance. I do have a coat of the latter on a Shaker candle stand and will make further judgment when I ever get around to "finishing" the finish on that project.

Regarding the drywall screws, consider using alternatives when you need screws. Drywall screws were not designed to provide a whole lot of strength and actually snap off quite easily. I have been using screws from McFeely's for a few years now and almost come to tears when I have to use something else. The deep threads and the square drive make for a very happy experience. I've never snapped one off, except for a very small #6 stainless steel screw that I got a little too exuberant with...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Martin

That bench came out looking good. By the looks of the cherry on top, you are going to have a real pretty piece when it gets that last coat of oil on it. Chunky - it might look that way by itself, but once it is in the place for which it was built, I think you will see it looks just right.

I used screws on the benches you saw when you were up here, although they were square drives from Mc Feely's, not drywall. I learned the hard way a long time ago that drywall screws aren't even good for drywall a lot of the time. I don't think there is anything wrong with screwing things together and pegging the screw holes.

Keep up the good work. Does the fact that this is almost done mean you are moving on to that table?

Bill