Thread: Shop made micro hollower

Shop made micro hollower

Finally got around to making a hollower for itty bittys today. It works great except I need to find some longer allen wrenches! LOL This is the first little pot I made with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carole
    Looks like you have something there. Any auto parts store will have longer allen wrenches. BTW, we had a gentleman do a demo at our local turners meeting and he uses a modified dental pick to do miniature captured rings.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Carole that is a great hollow form. Form and proportion are perfect. Great idea for the tool as well. Oh in case you hadn't seen the news you won the contest so you can go back full size if you want

David Ellsworth did a lot of miniatures like this with tools made from allen wrenches...they are scattered all over his studio and home!

As to your efforts, that's a wonderful vessel. GREAT form.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Somehow I knew you were going to take this itty bitty thing seriously. I think it appeals to your sense of scale and design. You can buy longer Allen wrenches but as they get longer they also get thicker. Nice little pot!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Hi Carole,

Just thought you would love the world of Micro turning. Great little hollow form.
    Not to jump on Mike's post, as he noted you can get Allen wrenches in various lengths, I have a number of sets, one of which is "T" handle form and are about 14" in length. They do not get thicker as the length increase, the size remains constant. A 1/8" hex is 1/8" for the length of the tool. Anyway, they do make good turning tools.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>

Bill, you are absolutely right. I misspoke. Obviously I should have engaged my brain before I started typing. I knew what I meant to say but didn't say it. They do not get thicker as Bill says. I was thinking of something else entirely....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Hay Mike, I knew something was wrong with your key Bord. I generally attribute something like that to a -- LOMA , not often noted on a forum page. It's called "Loss Of Mine Accident". I was going to say you were only having a Senior Moment, however you only list your mouth and day of your birth

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So thats your secret
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Great little pot Carole!! The Allen wrench idea looks to be the way to go....especially considering the varying sizes available and the fact that they have flats already. Way cool!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

My collection of odd Allen wrenches now have a new mission in life...

Wow Carole, that's a perfect little HF. Good idea using the allen wrench.

Ernie

I was in Woodcraft tonight picking up some mahogany for a flat project and browsed around the turning tools. They had a 5 piece set of micro-tools for $42. The handles were nothing real special and the blades appeared to be a fairly low-grade steel. Your Allen wrench tool was far superior. Not to knock WC....just pointing out that a higher grade tool is probably more cost effective to make yourself.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    I was in Woodcraft tonight picking up some mahogany for a flat project and browsed around the turning tools. They had a 5 piece set of micro-tools for $42. The handles were nothing real special and the blades appeared to be a fairly low-grade steel. Your Allen wrench tool was far superior. Not to knock WC....just pointing out that a higher grade tool is probably more cost effective to make yourself.
    Funny you mention mahogany for today I was in a warehouse that had 12 bundles of 8/4 x 8"-12" x 10'. Each bundle a little bigger than a bundle of 2x4's. I asked the owner about it and the story is that it is African Mahogany that came to the port nearly 20 years ago and the containers got flooded and so it was never paid for. After a few years of litigation they were eventually forgotten about and people went their separate ways and the containers burried in stacks of other containers. Eight years ago the containers were found as lost containers, not the freight in them. The containers were taken to a cargo company to have the wood taken off and thrown away. They were unloaded but the wood wasn't trashed. The new owner of the warehouse is selling it by however much people want to buy, but he seemed to want me to make an offer. I have no clue how much it is worth. Anybody know? I should have posted this as an original threead.

Ernie

Yes you should Ernie!!!! I wanna talk about this!!...but I don't want to hijack Carole's thread.
    ~john