Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poison Ivy.....HELP ME

Now don't get me wrong here, but----

You all are starting to make me ITCH!! Ha.
    Never had it, don't want it, won't get it------------I hope.
    Steve

Ok Phil, when are you gonna learn to stop playing with the Poison Ivy? Dint Mom teach ya nuttin'? I have no idea what kind of Poison Ivy you folks are growing down there, but I have never had Roundup fail to kill it around these parts. I have killed Sumac, Multi Flora Rose, Thistle and just about every other nasty noxious weed you can think of with Roundup. I have never had to exceed a 3% solution to do so. One other thing will work too, now that you seem to enfactuated with the stuff. You can cut off the plant an inch or so above ground level, and paint straight Roundup directly on the stump. That has worked on Wild Grape Vines for me, and I don't see why it wouldn't on Ivy.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    I know remedies have been posted before, but that was then. I have run into a fifteen year old batch of it, and need to know whether I should spray it, or start grubbing it up. No telling how far it travels. When I was a kid, I never got poison ivy. But I do now. Would appreciate your best method of removing it. Pardon moi while I scratch
    This is no joke. I'm assuming that you do not have a license to purchase RUP'S ( Resticted Use Pesticides ). Get any good weed killer and add 3 tablespoons of any liquid dish soap. Make sure to shake it up slightly. The soap will help the pesticide stick to the plant and eliminate the need for additional spraying. Spray the weed killer early in the morning or late in the evening. Sunlight will weaken the the pestisides effect if sprayed during full sun. Digging it up will frustate you if you don't get it all. The pesticide will go to the roots and kill all of it. As far as your itch is concernd, put some bleach on a paper towel and wipe it on your rash. This will stop the itching for quite a while. It works on ant bites, musquito bites, flea bites, and itches ftom plants. Hope this helps
    A good woodworker never gives up. Try, Try, and Try again and you WILL succeed.

poison ivy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    I know remedies have been posted before, but that was then. I have run into a fifteen year old batch of it, and need to know whether I should spray it, or start grubbing it up. No telling how far it travels. When I was a kid, I never got poison ivy. But I do now. Would appreciate your best method of removing it. Pardon moi while I scratch
    I moved to kentucky from California.The place I bought is on a lake and loaded with poison oak and ivy.If you can buy,rent borrow some goats,They eat poison oak like it was candy.I put collars on them and tied them to an area till they ate it all.Then Id move them to another spot.They would rub on me so I always had a touch of rash on my legs and arms. There,s a product called Tecknu at most drugstores.Cuts the oil that causes the rash .It worked for me. Jim

Glad you made your first post....

I moved to kentucky from California.The place I bought is on a lake and loaded with poison oak and ivy.If you can buy,rent borrow some goats,They eat poison oak like it was candy.I put collars on them and tied them to an area till they ate it all.Then Id move them to another spot.They would rub on me so I always had a touch of rash on my legs and arms. There,s a product called Tecknu at most drugstores.Cuts the oil that causes the rash .It worked for me. Jim

I just, yesterday, sprayed Roundup and Brush B Gone (combined and with detergent) all over the place. I see vines and spray. Can't really detect the ivy, but I'm sprayin' anyway. We are restricted on what pets we can keep in the city, Jim. And, to wash the oils away, you have to get to it within about thirty minutes. I posted earlier in the year that not all Roundup is equal. You need to read the package and make sure you're getting the extra strength. Potency has a color code on the bottle. I contracted poision ivy twice last year. And, since I'm buyin' the place, it may be brown by spring.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Wow...this thread is about like Phil's poison ivy--it just won't die!!!

Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Both methods seem to work somewhat however if you're going to grub it I'd suggest the following --- get a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol on hand then cover up every inch of exposed skin to include good gloves, etc. -- go out and yank the stuff out by the roots but no longer than a half hour or so at a time --- run back to the bath tub and use the alcohol to throughly wash off all body parts then take a regular shower to get rid of the alcohol --- don't touch the clothes you were wareing with anything other than a long stick and wash them a couple of times to get the stuff out of them (THEN wash out the washing machine and dryer with alcohol) --- I may seem a bit paranoid about this evil weed but I don't want another bout with it!
    Mike In Maryland