Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ft Washington Show and Dino

A public thank you to Dino and Keith is past due. Thank you both.

The EZSmart Guide system and all the extras that Dino threw in have been living in my shop for quite a few weeks now. I've got enough guide rail to reach from one end of the shop to the other. I put a Milwaukee circular saw (don't remember model number, it's the one with the brake) on the base plate and installed a decent Amana blade on it. I put a Hitachi M12V on the router base plate. Don't have plans for a power planer (mine are all hand powered).

Accuracy: this system is as accurate as I can measure. There is no loss of accuracy with the rail or with the base plates riding on the rail. To increase my measuring accuracy I've made a couple of story sticks to use for setting the guide on the wood.

Repeatability: With the repeateer - no problem. When the board is bigger than the repeater can handle I use the story sticks.

Safety: Better than any other power tool in my shop. Rip an eight foot sheet the long way, middle of the cut let go of everything - both hands- I wouldn't do that on my tablesaw. I wouldn't do that with a handheld circular saw. Do that on the EZSmart and nothing happens. The saw or router stops spinning, there's no kickback, wood doesn't try to launch itself, nothing happens. Then go back and start the tool again and continue the cut you can't even tell where you stopped.

The quality of the cut with the circular saw has to be seen to be believed. Been using that hardwood faced plywood from Home Depot with the incredibly thin face veneer, there is no chipping either edge of the cut. I can make a very smooth chip free cut.

This sytem is great and works as advertised.

Back to the kids in the military. Last week they both announced they are going to sign back up for another tour. John wants to go back to Iraq. I think the timing of the announcements is all part of a plan to drive their mother crazy. Because I've sure heard her side of the story.

Looks like we'll be sending more care packages overseas.

Thank you to both Keith and Dino. Thank you Keith for the work you're doing on the Freedom Pen project.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

feature request

Dino

Thanks for the great demo. Dino did so many demos he got one of the router bits to start a small fire!

Anyhow... great tool, but for router usage i would like to add a ruler and a way to calibrate it. Here's what I'm looking for: A sliding scale that could be snapped on to the top of the aluminum guide which I could adjust or zero out to an indicator snap-mounted to the sliding router base. Once the sliding scale is "synched" to the router base indicator, then I could use it to set my router stops.

Just a suggestion. Maybe your already working on it.

Nice stuff. Great to see you and Joe at the Show.

- Kenny King

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph N. Myers
    ...The Ft Washington Show was somewhat disappointing this year, even smaller that last year and not one vendor selling wood (one selling veneer, does that count?)...
    Mind if I ask about this a bit? I have been to 3 St. Louis shows as a visitor and do not recall ever seeing a lumber vendor with inventory. There is always one or two lumber sellers with a static booth; sort of like "see? we exist".

What is it you want to see? Booth space is expensive and the 8 x 10' booth I am renting this February in St. Louis to promote my newer lumber business will barely have room for the turning blanks I hope to peddle. But staffing a large truck on the lot with a few hundred bf of this and that would be a lot of effort and I have my doubts about how many people would actually buy 50bf+. Does anyone go to a show to get a deal on lumber? If you learned of a great source wouldn't it be just as easy to visit the yard later? How many of you have bought boards or seen them being bought (aside from a sawmill display) at a show? Info wanted - I am still trying to decide what to include in my long weekend of effort. Thank you.

Tom, I go to show all the time in NY, NJ, and Pa. I always see lumber dealers selling wood. Albeit, it is mostly exotics or harder to find items, like wide mahogany, holly, walnut, zebra wood, some cherry.

Richard

Tom, ditto to what Richard said, albeit at the Milwaukee show last year, not nearly as much as previously. No large quantities and, for solid woods, mainly just small project size stuff, primarily exotics. There was, however, one vendor with a rather huge display with just about any size and flavor of veneers your heart can desire! Talk about eye candy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny King
    Dino

Thanks for the great demo. Dino did so many demos he got one of the router bits to start a small fire!

Anyhow... great tool, but for router usage i would like to add a ruler and a way to calibrate it. Here's what I'm looking for: A sliding scale that could be snapped on to the top of the aluminum guide which I could adjust or zero out to an indicator snap-mounted to the sliding router base. Once the sliding scale is "synched" to the router base indicator, then I could use it to set my router stops.

Just a suggestion. Maybe your already working on it.

Nice stuff. Great to see you and Joe at the Show.

- Kenny King
    Hi Kenny.
    Thanks for stopping at the booth. It was nice to see you.
    Your idea can be used on a new tool that we're working.
    With the routers we have the problem of all different size bits and profiles.

Take a look at this link.
    http://eurekazone.com/gallery/smart-limit-stops
    With the use of a tape measure there is no way to get this accuracy. But we need at least one calibrated tape measure on the sliding arm for fluting and non precision routing.
    For inlays and other fancy routing work, the Micro-Fence and Pat Warner systems are the best.
    I saw the new Micro-Fence 3 axis plunge. A work of art.
    Thanks Kenny.
    YCf Dino

Tom,

Good question with reference to wood vendors (I'll ditto what Richard and John said about having them at other woodworking shows). I think a lot has to do with the number of lumber companies in the area, their distances, the type of show and the typical customer. What I can do is to tell you what is going on in this area and maybe that will help.

Every Spring there is a professional/commercial Wood Working show in Phila where the big furniture company, large woodworking places, professional woodworkers, etc attend. No wood being sold there, rather some 30+ companies showing the type of wood they sell, where they are located, etc. In addition, there may be some 20 booths showing hardware samples (slides, handles, etc) and at least another 20 showing molding they produce. And then there are the machines (large and very large and very, very large), CNC’s, lots of stuff on high end sanding, finishing, etc.. Entry is free, they have busses running every 5 minutes, upgraded food court, lots of freebie, etc. What the heck, some of these people spend big money. All in all, it is quite large and well attended. (BTW, if anyone is interested in going to next years show, shoot me an e-mail, Wood00001@aol.com and I’ll send you info on signing up).

In the fall, the woodworking show is more for the small cabinet shop, wood turners, scroll sawyers, weekend warriors, etc where they show and sell smaller equipment, hardware, woodworking jigs, etc. It was at this type show that lumber vendors would show their more specialize lumber products and "get their name out". IIRC, 5 years ago, Hearne Lumber, Willow Lumber, Good Hope Hardwood, Mahogany Hardwood and Steve Wall Lumber were there. And they had many of the things the spring show had such as bussing.

Last year just West Penn Hardwood and Hearne Lumber were there. This year, nobody. West Penn was real big on some very large exotic lumber and tons of turning blanks. Hearne Lumber had, I think, lots of walnut and cherry lumber. Both were pretty much trying to increase their customer base.

Last year the fall show was down sized and the attendance was not that good. Maybe that is why West Penn and Hearne were not there this year. And there was no bussing this year. One good thing was the $10 pass was good for all three days.

If you end up being a vendor at one of those shows, make sure to post that fact on the different wood forums, especially the ones where there are a lot of wood turners (such as WoodCentral). Might generate a lot of extra traffic at your booth if people know about before hand.

Regards (and good luck), Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

8. Wow Dino, it sure looks like your system is taking off!!

Good luck to you and I sure hope you can get around more to the various shows, maybe you need to hire a couple of sales agents or whatever you want to call them, put them through a "Dino sales school" and then set them loose on the country!!

The sky is the limit, much success in the New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Reimer
    A public thank you to Dino and Keith is past due. Thank you both.

Larry.
    Say hello to the kids from all of us.
    I been there as a young man (sailor) and I know how hard it is even without a war.
    WE need to thank all the turners and "Big Ken"
    And yes, Keith and many others.
    Thanks Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos
    For inlays and other fancy routing work, the Micro-Fence and Pat Warner systems are the best.
    Rich is now making Micro-Fence adaptors to fit various brands of extruded guides. Perhaps we'll see a version made specifically for EZSmart before too long.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Wow Dino, it sure looks like your system is taking off!!

Good luck to you and I sure hope you can get around more to the various shows, maybe you need to hire a couple of sales agents or whatever you want to call them, put them through a "Dino sales school" and then set them loose on the country!!

The sky is the limit, much success in the New Year!
    Hi Stu.
    Thanks for the encouragement. Have ever invented something and try to take it to the marketplace? It's kind of like those trees you're getting.
    You have an idea, you see the opportunity and the benefits to society, and then you start the process. Those who understand you and your idea support you.
    Those who don't understand, think you're nuts. In my case, the young engineers at the tool companies are the 'logs'. It's a lot tougher getting them to understand than you would think.
    I'm sure as you are getting these logs your mind must be searching for the easiest and safest way to do the task.
    The easiest way is to get help. Right now the best spokesperson for the EZ products is the person using the stuff. They seem to like it very much. Speaking of help, it seems we have an opportunity for the ez and the Dead Wood Covcept . in Japan. I've attached the big makita saw to the smart guide, the chain you have would work nicely with it also.
    http://eurekazone.com/images/gallery/giantmakita.html

About the dino's school.
    I don't enjoy selling. I enjoy finding solutions to problems.

Thanks Stu.
    YCF Dino

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens
    Rich is now making Micro-Fence adaptors to fit various brands of extruded guides. Perhaps we'll see a version made specifically for EZSmart before too long.
    Hi John.
    I saw Rich at the show and shake his hand.
    I told him that I was proud ... from his new 3 axis plunge.
    I think Rich and Pat are the last Mohicans of quality in today's world of woodworking.
    And I think, you have a lot to offer.
    Thanks John.
    10-20 years fron now, everybody will talk about your post.
    If history was made in PA, Your post will make even more.
    Welcome to the DWC
    YCF Dino

Dino, will you be at the show at the Big E in Mass. in January? I am new here, and your product looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jon harriman
    Dino, will you be at the show at the Big E in Mass. in January? I am new here, and your product looks interesting.
    Welcome to the forum.
    I go day by day. If I feel good and they have some space left, (we don't need much) the answer is Yes.
    If not, you can have your own show by testing the stuff before you deside if is good for you.
    Thanks Jon.
    YCF Dino

Sounds great, my wife (protector of the checkbook) and I will be there on Saturday the 14th.