Thread: Planer questions.....

Planer questions.....

This morning i read a post about someone using there planer as a joiner. I am getting ready to buy my 1rst planer. Dewalt dw735. Anyways they were talking about using a jig to make it work. Does anyone have a pic of this jig. Also how thin of a piece can you plane. I am talking about 1/16-3/16. Is that possible without a jig or something. I have never used a planer before. The only thing i am worried about is not using the planer enough. I am only a hobbiest who has alot of things to build on his to-do list. How often do you hobbiest use you 13" planer? Do you think i should not buy a 13" and save up to buy something bigger. I am a little worried about how often i am going to use it becuase i usually are building something bigger than 13". Thanks Josh

Planer really comes into it's own if you are working with rough sawn wood.
    I do, so my planer (older DW733) gets used for every project.

Realistically are you ever going to use boards that are more than 12" wide? ok, I do, but it's not a common thing.

The larger planers often need 3 phase or 230 volt power, do you have that available?

Most guys recommend having a jointer too, but you can get by without one (planer sled, router, table saw, hand plane etc.)

Cheers

Ian

hi josh
    the decision about machines has a lot to due with how you see the hobby developing over the years. Personally this is my one hobby so I have invested pretty heavily in it without much regret. It also depends on your wallet. I lot of folks like the lunchbox planers and they seem to do a pretty decent job in spite of their small size. Since it seems like you are just getting going with this hobby, I would say get the small planer and use it until it reaches its limitations or you give up on the hobby. If after a few years you really find your self getting deeper into the hobby and working with bigger pieces of wood and such then start to look at bigger machines.

here is my current 24" machine. If you really begin to get into the hobby with building pieces and aquiring machines, I would recommend that you continue to do the research like you are doing. it will serve you well
    lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe the jig you're referring to is likely a planer sled for flattening boards without the benefit of a jointer or boards that are too wide for a jointer. The planer will make the surfaces smooth, thinner, and parallel to the bottom side...if the bottom surface is twisted or bowed, it will come out smooth, thinner and still twisted or bowed. The sled provides a flat bottom for the planer to replicate and will flatten the top surface parallel to the sled's bottom if you shim the high spots of the piece.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-22-2006 at 6:06 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

One of the jigs mentioned was shown in a video clip at www.taunton.com . I can't find it now so perhaps they removed it. It was related to an article in FWW several (more than 6?) months ago. As is usual in FWW the jig was a little over the top but looked very adaptable. Check out the back issues if you are still interested.