Thread: Attaching Pictures to Messages

Attaching Pictures to Messages

Everyone Please Read!

Attaching pictures to your messages is relatively simple. When you select the "Manage Attachments" link you will be provided with a pop-up window. (See Picture)

Select the Browse button, browse your local drive, select the folder and then file you want to attach to your message.

When your file is listed in the window select the "Add This File" button. Be patient, it may take a minute for your file to be added to the list (See Picture). When you have completed adding files select the "All Done" button and the pop-up window will disappear.

When you have finished your message select the "Submit New Thread" button and your message will be posted in the forum you have selected. You can edit your message and any pictures you have posted in your message if you made a mistake, even after the message has been posted.

Another method of adding pictures in your messages is to link to a file on a remote server. This is not recommended as messages that have not been uploaded to the SawMill Creek server may not be included when we distribute the forums via CD or DVD. This includes any graphics you include in your messages, the graphics will not be available on our local server when we archive SawMill Creek for distribution and your posts may not be included.
    Attached Images Attached Images

let me try !

i'm trying to show a picture, hope it works !
    MARK

Keith, the only problem with not using pics on an external server is that unless you only attach a single graphic to your post, they come up as links, rather than pictures. You also can't annotate them. Perhaps a future version of the software will allow specific placement of graphics within a post to deal with at least that latter point. Mind you, this is not a complaint, only an observation...SMC has the best software implementation on any forum I participate in.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keith

Someone in the past told me that in order to post a picture that it must be downsized to 100 K or smaller. Is this true? I just checked the size of Mark's picture and it is over 900 K.
    I understand that smaller will load faster, but is it really necessary to try and hit that <100 K mark.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

smaller than that

Quote Originally Posted by Don Farr
    Someone in the past told me that in order to post a picture that it must be downsized to 100 K or smaller. Is this true? I just checked the size of Mark's picture and it is over 900 K.
    I understand that smaller will load faster, but is it really necessary to try and hit that <100 K mark.
    I checked his picture size -- it is 50K.

I try to keep my posted pics in the 30K range for minimizing load times. I use thumbnails when posting multiples which helps a whole bunch.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Thanks Ken

You are correct. I just discovered that the program I am using is lying to me. I have been using Paint Shop Pro for over 5 years and have become very familiar with it. I wonder if it may be a compatibility problem with XP.
    Anyway that is the reason I have had such a problem with my pictures.
    What program do you use to edit your pictures?
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Posting Pictures

Jim,

Your right, we had hoped that version 3 of vBulletin would allow us to set our forums to show multiple pictures but it won't. Aaron and I tried but the configuration doesn't allow more than one picture per post to show, more than one picture in a message will be links. Maybe the next version will give us this capability.

Note that my previous message concerning pictures on remote servers is a concern because we won't have the pictures to include with the archive when we publish SawMill Creek on CD or DVD. We may have to purge all messages that have remote links. We really prefer that everyone upload their pictures as we don't wany anyone to be left out of SMC when we publish and believe me we are going to publish. --A Digital Magazine in in our future--

Don,

Paint Shop Pro will provide the uncompressed and the compressed size of your images when you view image information. Images that are uploaded to SMC are always compressed. Often when you are working on a picture in PSP the picture is uncompressed by the software untill you save it to a file.

SawMill Creek does have a file size limit of 100k per picture. We have to set some kind of limit or people would upload 50 meg graphics or worse attempt to bring down the forum by filling up our drive. Also some of our members are using telephone dialup connections and huge files take forever to load.

To All,

Please contribute your woodworking articles and get your Shop Tours ready to post at SMC. We have 3 articles online and I had hoped we would see many more by now. Aaron and I are working on a new area of SMC for the shop tours and we hope everyone will contribute. We are trying to setup our shop tours section so that you will have password access to update your shop tour whenever you add new equipment or have additional information to include. We would like our Shop Tours section to be living documents.

I posted the SMC statistics for June yesterday and we now have woodworkers from over 21 countries visiting SMC. Although we have made a lot of progress since Febuary we would like everyone to help us out by contributing Articles and Shop Tours, let's show off a bit for the lurkers.

Here, Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    SMC has the best software implementation on any forum I participate in.
    I couldn't agree more.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Multiple Pictures Work Now!

Well, Aaron did some hacking on the vBulletin software and has managed to get the multiple pictures to work in messages. I had just about given up on our being able to get this done, at least in this version of vBulletin.

This is great news.