Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your miter saw station

Show me your miter saw station

My shop space, a.k.a. garagel, is small and work space is at a premium. My tools are all on mobile bases. I have seen several wall mounted miter saw stations with large wings on each side for cutting long stock (the one built by paulcomi comes to mind). However. dedicating this much wall space is not really an option for me so I am looking for some ideas.

I am envisioning a wall mounted stand for the saw where I could cut shorter stock with it set up normally. Then, if I am cutting longer pieces, I could have 2 "wings" on each side (maybe 3 feet long each) that are hinged to the stand and would swing up and lock into place. They would normally be in the "down" position unless needed.

Trying to find the proper hardware to allow the wings to be beefy enough when "up", and that can lock into place accurately (i.e. flat in relation to the saw) is proving difficult as I design this in my mind.

Has anyone built anything similar to what I am trying to explain????
    "Don't call me a Perfectionist, that's not quite the right word."

No problem...here ya go!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Unhappy

I have two miter saws. One on a long row of cabinets that is stationary with stops, and the other I am building a mobile base for that has easily collapsible wings with a positive stop system. I got it out of an older Fine Woodworking mag I had and like it. If you like I can get you the issue number as it is in my shop and I don't get to go out to the shop tonight until my wife gets home.... Got parenting duty and can't figure out where I put the baby monitor.

Here ya go too. The whole thing will take a board 10" from saw blade to end of the sliding stop. Sliding stop is set up on a five inch center movement from the sawblade to the end of the maple board built in the top. These pic are about 1yr old much more finished now but still not quite done
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is mine. The wings fold down and are long enough to support an 8' board on one side. The drawers hold routers in one and other tools in the other. The wings are adjustable to level them. Three screws and the saw comes off to be used somewhere else.

CPeter

My miter stations

I've had two types of systems. My previous miter station was this.

My current is this.

mine are mobile.tod
    MVC-016S.JPG

question for cpeter james

You mention that your wings are adjustable, what is your method? Also, how long are your wings? (that sounds strange doesn't it?)

Thanks
    "Don't call me a Perfectionist, that's not quite the right word."

Can't remember where I got the plan, but here's what I have...
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Dave, I think that was from a Wood magazine issue. I was thinking of that mobile miter station plan but I didn't find it in a quick look. Scott, I'll find that issue and let you know where it is. It was a pretty good plan with a lot of nice features.

The wings are 4', 6" from the blade to the end. That is long enough to hold an 8' board. The adjustment is via a slotted stop block that the brace sits on. I also have a screw on the side tha holds the spare blades. This was made from a cabinet out of an old scholl chem lab that was being renovated.

CPeter

You can see mine Here Nothing fancy but functional. It's 16' long Only because I have the room there.

Good luck to you!
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

This is it for the moment.

I hope to build a UTS this spring.

Hi Scott,

Have you looked at the Ridgid MSUV that Home Depot sells? That is what my saw lives on and I really like it. It can be set up with stops out to 4 feet from the blade. It is highly mobile and can be stored standing up with the saw attached to save space. I think it is Per Swanson that have one with an excellent fence system on it.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Hi Scott.

I am planning to build this one:

http://www.plansnow.com/mitersaw.html

This one give you about 22" + your saw's side support (10" on mine), that is 32". I will have it mounted, with a removable back, on a wall cleat system. For longer stock I plan to have:

1- a long shelf hung with brackets on the same wall cleat system, with the top floating on setscrews on the backet to fine tune the heigth
    2- a short section of the same as 1- that I can position anywhre on the cleat.

Also, I will add a T-track or some other way to set a stop block on said shlef. the 32" of fence on the station should be ample enough so I wont need to extend the fence.

This will give the best of both worlds, a fixed miter saw station and a portable one providing 32" of support on both sides, 38" of fence should I ever need to take it somewhere.

That is it. I am right into the process of remodeling my 11' x 19' shop, in wich I have 3 access doors + the overhead garage door, but this will be replaced by a better insulated wall.

Guy